Swaping out driver for larger drives

csearle

Contributor
Hey guys I have read the documentation on swapping drives, I was wondering if any one has had and issues with following the documentation, or have come up with a different way..

Id like to upgrage my 2 2tb drives with 2 4tb drives im hopping to find a decent method..

I think you should follow the User Guide. Is there something about the steps you don't trust/like?

The only other option is to build a second pool with your 4TB drives, move the data over, and destroy the 2TB pool. You'd have to reconfigure everything though from shares, snapshots, etc. If you follow the User Guide's methods you likely won't have to do that.

csearle

Contributor
I’m just looking for other methods..

In that case, I would suggest you stick with the User Guide. There are often MANY ways to do the same thing however, FreeNAS is an appliance and for that reason it is best to follow the User Guide. That will ensure you end up with a system that performs as you would expect. Doing other wise, especially if you're not very sure of what you're doing, risks your data. If you're just playing around with a test machine the method I gave you above will also work.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I’m just looking for other methods..
There are three valid methods:
  • Offline a disk, remove it, install its replacement, initiate disk replacement through the GUI. Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Install new disk, initiate disk replacement through the GUI, remove the old disk once resilvering is complete (it's taken offline automatically). Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Create a new pool on the new disks, move the data from old to new using your preferred method.
The third really isn't "expanding" the pool, it's just replacing it with a different pool. Not recommended unless you need to change number of disks or configuration (e.g., RAIDZ to RAIDZ2). The first two should be discussed in the manual. Why would you be looking for other methods?

csearle

Contributor
I’m curious to see if anyone came up with other methods

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
And what methods would that be? These are the ones available. The only ones.

Kind regards,
Patrick

csearle

Contributor
Fair enough Point take...

csearle

Contributor
I don't really have a reason other then being curious. im a complete noob and would like to have a flawless execution of this.. I have read and watched videos on this, found something im comfortable with..