swap_pager_getswapspace suddenly failed - no logged explanation, no jails/VMs, plenty of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stilez

Guru
Like the title says. I checked my system and found it was basically unresponsive, with a ton of swap_pager_getswapspace failed errors on the console. It's never happened before.

I was forced to kill power and reboot my server. The pool is OK, but after reboot there's nothing in the logs suggesting a source or cause.

The system is on 11.1-U5 and doesn't have any jails, VMs, extensions, or anything like that running.

Other than permanently keeping top -Squw -oswap running 24/7 on the console or a terminal "just in case", or allocating more than 2-3GB of swap, is there any way to narrow down a source or to get debug info if it ever happens again?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Like the title says. I checked my system and found it was basically unresponsive, with a ton of swap_pager_getswapspace failed errors on the console. It's never happened before.

I was forced to kill power and reboot my server. The pool is OK, but after reboot there's nothing in the logs suggesting a source or cause.

The system is on 11.1-U5 and doesn't have any jails, VMs, extensions, or anything like that running.

Other than permanently keeping top -Squw -oswap running 24/7 on the console or a terminal "just in case", or allocating more than 2-3GB of swap, is there any way to narrow down a source or to get debug info if it ever happens again?

One option for getting more information is to configure the server to save RRD files.
http://doc.freenas.org/11/reporting.html

Stilez

Guru
Can you please PM me a debug file.
How do I do that? I can't see a way on the forum to PM a file, and I'd as soon not put it openly. Shall I send it to you at ix by email?

Status
Not open for further replies.