Supermicro X9SRL-F & 846 chassis issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingboy

Explorer
I was happily using the following system for 12 months+

X9SRL-F motherboard
4 * Samsung 16GB M393B2G70DB0-YK0 DIMMs (approved SM RAM)
2 LSI 9211-8i IT boards
Intel 520 10gig network card
and 10 4TB WD RED drives installed in Supemicro 5 in 3 bays
Freenas 9.3.1 latest stable version.

All was fine until I decided to move my system into a 846 chassis to prepare for adding another 12 drives next year.

Purchased from eBay a CSE-846A-R1200B 4U which came fitted with a X8DT3-LN4F and Areca ARC1280ML. I removed the X8DT3 and Areca RAID card and transferred my hardware into the chassis. Simple enough, Ive done this numerous times and had no issues.

However, on
boot my system froze with a B7 error.
I removed all RAM and booted with a single stick and it booted successfully. I could only get the board to boot with RAM in either DIMM slot A1, B1, or C1, nothing in D1.
Googling for RAM issues I found this video which appears to the same motherboard and issue I was experiencing although it is foreign so I can't understand it but it looks like the B6/B7 issue can be triggered by some kind of grounding issue, possibly with the chassis or port shield.

I decided to move everything back to my old chassis which I knew worked and verify functionality, however in this chassis I received a B7 error is I had any RAM stick in DIMM B1!

I ran an overnight memtest with 16GB sticks in A1, C1 & D1 and 2+ passed 2 passed without error.

I was going to leave the system like this until after Christmas so having moved it back into my 846 I now can't boot with any RAM is either B1 or D1!? I'm now at a stage where I don't trust the system with my data so would be interested in any feedback or ideas about compatibility between X9 series motherboards and my chassis.

I *think* all the Ram sticks are fine as the system will boot with any of them in DIMM slot A1 so at this stage I suspect the motherboard. Physical inspection doesn't show any obvious damage but as I can't do anything with it for a few days over the holidays I have some time to experiment - nothing to lose at this stage and that video above seems to find a solution.

Last edited:

vikingboy

Explorer
Sorry to reply to myself...I found the AMI BIOS code listed here, https://ami.com/ami_downloads/Aptio_4.x_Status_Codes_(beep_checkpoint).pdf

B6 is Clean-up of NVRAM
B7 is Configuration Reset (reset of NVRAM settings)

Is there a more thorough way to reset the BIOS than removing the battery and shorting the two BIOS reset pads? Just want to make sure Ive done everything I can before I RMA / spring for a new motherboard...

freenas-supero

Contributor
I had a similar issue last year with a H8DCL-if which, after switching chassis stopped recognizing the dimm B2 which had a stick of 32GB so obviously Proxmox didnt like the shortage of RAM. I dismantled the system entirely and performed testing only to discover than a small piece of steel was shorting the motherboard right underneath the B2 solder connections!

Since then the system has been flawlessly stable and all RAM is recognized. Check for short circuit first, then try a BIOS flash. Is your RAM on the approved vendor list from Supermicro? Is your BIOS up to date? Dont reflash if it is..

Also try with a stick you know is good. Put it in slot 1, then memtest it. Do the same for second slot, and so on..

As for resetting the CMOS, yes, shorting the pads with a paper clip should do it I have done it on my other Supermicro server when the BIOS was corrupted. Do not remove the battery when you reset it, the battery needs to be there to send an electrical impulse to the proper circuit for CMOS reset.

At the end, if the slots B1 or D1 are not detecting any RAM, the sticks are good, the BIOS is up to date and CMOS is reset, then yes consider a RMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.