Supermicro AOC-S3108L-H8iR update to IT Mode?

MannyJ

Cadet
Hi,

Before starting an install, I have ready through the many informative resources and posts suggesting RAID Controllers being updated to Target Mode, to act as HBA's. In particular the thread by jgreco (https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/confused-about-that-lsi-card-join-the-crowd.11901/) was extremely helpful. I have used this advice to purchase a IBM ServeRaid M1015 46M0861 LSI SAS9220-8i for my upcoming home device, which I will use for testing / becoming familiar with FreeNAS.

The issue I am faced with is that my company has purchased a Supermicro server with a AOC-S3108L card (references in boot up show: AVAGO 3108 MPT3BIOS - 8.35.00.00 and LSI3008-iR - 15.00.03.00-IR).

I understand the advice is not to use the newer and more expensive controllers, however I am stuck with this on this server build. I am hoping someone can provide a link, resource or advice which can direct me to updating this particular card to IT Mode.

I have sent a request to Supermicro but initial indications are that they do support this change.

Thank you,
Manny

MannyJ

Cadet

MannyJ

Cadet
Final message to clarify this in case anyone else is using similar devices and has a similar question - It seems the Supermicro AOC-3108 controller does not do IT mode and there is no flash option to do so. If using this kind of controller, the Supermicro AOC-3008 controller is able to work in IR or IT mode with the correct firmware flashed.

Regards,