Suggestion, "alert light" move to left, freenas interface layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

datarimlens

Dabbler
In my browser, the FreeNAS "alert light" is often hidden on the right side of the browser.
As its visibility appears important, i would suggest moving it to the left end, left of "Account", so it is always visible and can serve its function better.

Looking for feedback from other users if that is a good idea or could have other potentially negative impact.

Regards,

datarimlens

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
With all due respect, your issue is with your client graphics/display.
You might try increasing your screen resolution so the whole browser
appears on the screen.

datarimlens

Dabbler
Hi Dave,

likewise with full respect, there is a reason why I pointed this out:
1. Of course one could blame the display resolution. With my suggestion however, one may become less dependent on such minutia as display resolution or browser setup.
2. The issue occurs with different browsers. I uploaded snapshots with updated Firefox and IE. There is also no separator that may hint at more hidden icons.
3. The issue is certainly graver in Firefox, where an empty box appears on the left in addition.

My suggestion, fully understanding browser and screen resolutions may not be limited to me, was:
To make the alert box visible, the left side is the safer bet.

With best regards and full respect, submitted for consideration.

datarimlens

Attachments

• invisbleAlertFF.jpg
    invisbleAlertFF.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 408
  • alertVisibleIE.jpg
    alertVisibleIE.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 411
  • alertVisibleFF.jpg
    alertVisibleFF.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 401
  • alertVisibleIE.jpg
    alertVisibleIE.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 395

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Well you have a point, but my thought was for a temporary fix due to the fact that
the Devs are putting forth most of their current efforts towards the release of Ver. 10
which has a completly new GUI all together. So at this point you and I will have to
deal with the minutia for now

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
yeah this looks a lot like you just need to make your browser window bigger. I'm not a web developer but I think there should be a sudo standard for how wide to make the default content.

diedrichg

Wizard
Hi Dave,

likewise with full respect, there is a reason why I pointed this out:
1. Of course one could blame the display resolution. With my suggestion however, one may become less dependent on such minutia as display resolution or browser setup.
2. The issue occurs with different browsers. I uploaded snapshots with updated Firefox and IE. There is also no separator that may hint at more hidden icons.
3. The issue is certainly graver in Firefox, where an empty box appears on the left in addition.

My suggestion, fully understanding browser and screen resolutions may not be limited to me, was:
To make the alert box visible, the left side is the safer bet.

With best regards and full respect, submitted for consideration.

datarimlens
yeah this looks a lot like you just need to make your browser window bigger. I'm not a web developer but I think there should be a sudo standard for how wide to make the default content.
No, no. This is CSS (at least I'm guessing it's CSS as I don't have access to my server atm) and browser rendering incompatibilities. Look at the different browsers, you can see that two of the four (I bet one is FF) are rendering the icons properly to the far left while the other two are rendering them aligned to the main screen frame. This is definitely a coding issue with the frontend. You should file a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and then post the bug link here so others can follow the progress. Take new screenshots so they can see which browsers are rendering incorrectly and you will need to include your OS version and browser versions.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
submitted for consideration
Have you tried clearing your browsers' caches and updating them to the latest versions?

Nothing I do in Firefox or Chrome results in a gap to the left of the Account icon. When I reduce the browser window below 1069px the Support icon disappears first, then the Guide icon. The Alert icon doesn't disappear until the browser is less than 933px wide.

The design should respond better to a narrow browser window, but there's clearly something wrong with your environment.

A workaround would be to edit layout.css and remove this rule:
Code:
#topLayout {
    height:125px;
    overflow:hidden;
}

Status
Not open for further replies.