SubSonic as a Media Server vs others avail as FreeNAS plugins

mudshark

Contributor
Hi gang

Presently using SubSonic Media server on my FreeNAS box. I choose that as I was familiar with it from years ago (the last time I built a server).
It does work; it's simple to setup and use. I define what folder s are Music + Video and I can easily access and play everything from anywhere via any browser.

So, it does pretty much all anyone would want but with one minor issue (album list sorting weirdness) so I am curious what else may be better.

It looks like there are a number of Server plugins available in FreeNAS but as I am unfamiliar with any but SubSonic I was hoping you folks could recommend a "better" Media Server solution.

Thanks all,
RG

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi gang

Presently using SubSonic Media server on my FreeNAS box. I choose that as I was familiar with it from years ago (the last time I built a server).
It does work; it's simple to setup and use. I define what folder s are Music + Video and I can easily access and play everything from anywhere via any browser.

So, it does pretty much all anyone would want but with one minor issue (album list sorting weirdness) so I am curious what else may be better.

It looks like there are a number of Server plugins available in FreeNAS but as I am unfamiliar with any but SubSonic I was hoping you folks could recommend a "better" Media Server solution.

Thanks all,
RG
I personally use subsonic for music/podcast. For music, it can't be beat when paired with the DSub android app.

for tv/movies I've been using MediaBroser, but I'm pretty new to it so I can't speak to it versus Plex.

I personally use subsonic for music/podcast. For music, it can't be beat when paired with the DSub android app.

for tv/movies I've been using MediaBroser, but I'm pretty new to it so I can't speak to it versus Plex.
I'll second Subsonic with DSub app. It can't be beat. The DSub app is $4 or $5 in the Google Play Store, but can be downloaded for free through the FOSS App Store called FDroid.

avalon60

Guru
I have just installed the Subsonic plugin, and when I open up the web page, ie 192.68.0.10:4040, and choose the media folder, which is on my FreeNAS box, it comes up as 'Folder not found'. I have entered the path to the music folder as: \\FREENAS\Freenas\Media\Music, but Subsonic does not find it.

I have also downloaded and installed the Subsonic exe program on my laptop, and that is a different story. In the Media Folders section I entered the same path as above, but I also had to Log In as my windows account. So after having done that Subsonic does find the music in the given path: \\FREENAS\Freenas\Media\Music

Getting back to the Subsonic ip address: http://192.168.0.10:4040/index.view, subsonic can't find the Music folder.

Have I missed something here.

Subsonic doesn't handle Samba connections. You would have to add your "music" folder as storage for the jail.

avalon60

Guru
The Music folder is in the Subsonic Storage: Source: /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music, and Destination: /Music

Even if I say The source is: \\FREENAS\Freenas\subsonic_1\Music, it doesn't make any difference.

Also I have watched youtube videos on this subject, and there is no problem getting the media/music folders recognised. So if it works for them why not me?

Update.
Well I don't believe it! In the Media Folder section /Folder, I just put /Music, instead of the full path, and it is seen by Subsonic.
Now I realise , it is the destination folder /Music which is required.

Last edited:
Yes! Subsonic is in the jail and the storage is mounted locally in that jail at /Music. So that is the path to the music. You got now.

raidflex

Guru
Check out Madsonic too, I actually prefer it to Subsonic.

There is also a Futuresonic. Got to love all the forking. :)

avalon60

Guru
Neither Madsonic nor Futursonic are listed in FreeNAS 9.3 plugins, and I am not comfortable adding either without some kind of walk through or whatever.

Actually I deleted Subsonic because I found that it had to be paid for at so much for each year. $12 I think it was per year.

raidflex

Guru
Neither Madsonic nor Futursonic are listed in FreeNAS 9.3 plugins, and I am not comfortable adding either without some kind of walk through or whatever.

Actually I deleted Subsonic because I found that it had to be paid for at so much for each year. $12 I think it was per year.

Actually there is a Madsonic plugin. Madsonic/Subsonic does not require a yearly fee to function. The cost is for additional features like dns. If you go to the website below and create a forum a account, you will be able to download the plugin.

http://www.madsonic.org/

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Actually there is a Madsonic plugin. Madsonic/Subsonic does not require a yearly fee to function. The cost is for additional features like dns. If you go to the website below and create a forum a account, you will be able to download the plugin.

is there actually a PBI built? I wanted to create a madsonic plugin at one point but couldn't find a publicly accessible to download the war files for my build scripts.

avalon60

Guru

When I had subsonic running yesterday, and got my media folder sorted as per my post above, there was a message on the Subsonic web page that it was only freely available until 20th June, and had then I had to pay the subscription.

raidflex

Guru
is there actually a PBI built? I wanted to create a madsonic plugin at one point but couldn't find a publicly accessible to download the war files for my build scripts.

Yes there is, you need to have a Madsonic forum account in order to see the downloads.

When I had subsonic running yesterday, and got my media folder sorted as per my post above, there was a message on the Subsonic web page that it was only freely available until 20th June, and had then I had to pay the subscription.

If that is the case just use the Madsonic plugin, like I stated above it is on the Madsonic website.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
@raidflex
ah, nice. any reason they don't want to add it to the freenas repo? maybe to not encourage people to ditch subsonic and not support the developer? (which I think is fair)

@avalon60
i could be wrong. but i thought subsonic will still work, just certain features require a subscription?
I'm lucky, I paid for a premium membership when it was a one time cost.

raidflex

Guru
@raidflex
ah, nice. any reason they don't want to add it to the freenas repo? maybe to not encourage people to ditch subsonic and not support the developer? (which I think is fair)

@avalon60
i could be wrong. but i thought subsonic will still work, just certain features require a subscription?
I'm lucky, I paid for a premium membership when it was a one time cost.

I though at one time the Madsonic plugin was actually on the Freenas repo, but I could be wrong. I do not believe there would be any issue with uploading the PBI, I think the developer just never got around to it. I know he has been working on a new version.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I though at one time the Madsonic plugin was actually on the Freenas repo, but I could be wrong. I do not believe there would be any issue with uploading the PBI, I think the developer just never got around to it. I know he has been working on a new version.
sounds good. Ill just contact him and see what he thinks.

avalon60

Guru
It maybe was a plugin before but not in FreeNAS 9.3 it isn't.
Just on the list of downloads on Madsonic site, which version is it for FreeNAS, and than how do I install it into FreeNAS.

I have just installed the windows 64bit version, but I don't think it has found my music folder on my NAS box.

Just out interest, what is the difference between the windows version and the standalone version?

Last edited:

raidflex

Guru
Go to addons in the downloads section. There is a Freenas forum.

avalon60

Guru
Go to addons in the downloads section. There is a Freenas forum.

Ok done that thanks, but how do I get the pbi file to install into FreeNAS. As I said earlier I am not comfortable doing it without a walk through if you like.

In the posts of:
Madsonic 5.1 FreeNAS PBI

There are users who have had problems with it, and the last post is from a user of FreeNAS 9.3