Storage setup

vanrhyn

Cadet
I currently have storage drives as follows:

8tb (2 Drives)
6tb (2 Drives)
1tb (2 Drives)
3tb (1 Drive May purchase an matching 3 tb)
4tb (1 Drive May purchase an matching 4 tb)

Purchasing a case to build my own that holds up to 10 desktop hardrives

What would my best set up be?

Would a Mirror be best? or a z1 or z2 array?

Could I use one of each in an array and then mirror that whole array to the remaining disks? (1 array of a 8tb, 6tb, 4tb, 3tb and 1 tb)

Also how would you move info from one disk to another?

Currently have about 6tb of data on a NAS that is in a RAID 1, that is backed up on to my 6tb drives and my 4tb dirve?

So would the best be to setup up freenas with the 8tb drives and then copy backups to them, then install the 6tb drives, and expand the pools if possible? Once done keep doing the same for each of the other pairs until all installed?

Advice would be greatly appreciated

Rod

blueether

Patron

8tb (2 Drives)
6tb (2 Drives)
1tb (2 Drives)
I think I would go mirrored pairs in this case and ditch the 1TB drives (or use as an extra mirrored pair on its own pool for temp data ect)
I think your idea of migration should work, but why not rsync the data off the other NAS?

The pool layout that I would do is:
Mirrored 8TB drives in a vdev
Mirrored 6TB drives in a vdev
Mirrored 3 & 4 TB drives in a vdev
for about a 17TB pool

Raidz [x] really wont work well with such different sized disks as the raidz[x] vdev will use the smallest sized disk as the size of all disks in the vdev

diedrichg

Wizard

8tb (2 Drives)
6tb (2 Drives)
1tb (2 Drives)

Purchasing a case to build my own that holds up to 10 desktop hardrives

What would my best set up be?
With a bunch of disks like that I'd want to be able to have as much storage as possible so personally I'd go to Unraid.

Dice

Wizard

Hello, Welcome.

From what I gather out of the information you provided (and deriving clues from what information you did not provide) I would personally have started a refresh of the hdd park. It is not a bad idea at all to start selling older drives and put back the cash into new drives of a more suitable size.

What options seem valid?
The 3 and 4 TB single drives are perfect candidates to sell. The twin 1TB drives are definitley time to let go of.

I'd consider somehow mustering up the budget to purchase a 3rd 8TB drive and put them into a RaidZ1.
And use the double 6tb drives for backup.

You must plan the migration carefully, since ZFS is built to add storage in vdevs (consisting of one or many drives in raid/mirror configurtion - responsible for its own redundancy). Thus you need to find the space somewhere to completely empty the suggested 3x8TB before you could turn them into a vdev, on your pool. The next time you add drives you could 3x drives again.

The other option is to use mirrors, adding storage in units of 2 at a time. Same vdev redundancy logic as above applies.

Imo, the key question to think about is <how many drives at a time am I willing to purchase for each expansion cycle> ?

2 -> mirrors
3 -> raidz1
5-8 -> raidz2 (sort of loose numbers, very use case specific)
8-13 -> raidz3 (same as above)

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd consider somehow mustering up the budget to purchase a 3rd 8TB drive and put them into a RaidZ1.
8 TB disks in RAIDZ1? No thanks.