SOLVED Storage question (.recycle issue)

mrramsey

Dabbler
@mrramsey , I just noticed the details of the "zfs get all..." seems incomplete as you should expect more properties.

This returns the following:
freenas-boot/ROOT/default@2020-01-15-21:31:20 6.5M - 758M -

Apollo

Wizard
So no snapshots then.
So how did you migrate your data in the first place?

mrramsey

Dabbler
Copied from windows back in 2016. I don't think I ever had snapshots probably not a good practice on my part which also leads me to believe that I never really had it configured properly. I am just using this as a NAS in the simplest terms, no streaming or running apps. I want store our windows backups as well as sync copies of our important data, docs, photos etc. Then I will sync the critical data to backblaze for an offsite backup.

So I guess what I should do now is wipe out these drives and create a new storage pool and copy my data back over? I have already copied the data back to windows while I was getting updated to 11.2. I am all ears on any best configuration.

If I can get the pool created correctly then I will get a couple of 4TB NAS drives to replace these 5 year old WD Blacks. I will also add another 4GB RAM unless I find a good deal on a 24GB 6x4GB kit.

Apollo

Wizard
It would be more reliable and definitely faster to keep the drive/volume as is and use MC to copy the data to the new drives/volume associating them to the correct dataset.
I still just don't understand why there is 1TB used when no snapshot is present.

mrramsey

Dabbler
@Apollo I think I may have something... I have a .recycle in my home directory that seems to have replication of all of the data. How can I delete the contents of the .recycle directory?

mrramsey

Dabbler
Ok I figured out how to empty .recycle. It's still running but my free space is getting larger :)

next question , and I think I know the answer. The note the difference in the capacity of shared vs mike. I think it is due to the mike and lisa being home directories whereas shared is a dataset of storage- thus capacity is whats left over?
Capture.PNG

If this is the case would I be better served by creating data sets for mike and lisa and not use users and home directories etc based on the type of data that it contains? So for our photo storage that should be its own dataset?

Last edited:

mrramsey

Dabbler
Yay! I have roughly double my free space again. I created a daily CRON job to clear out .recycle daily on files older than 20 days and delete empty folders. When I create new datasets is it best practice to add them as top level or as a child of shared?

Capture.PNG

Apollo

Wizard
If .recycle contains replication, then it is not in the sense of snapshot data in ZFS language.
But yes, create a dataset per user. You can move dataset around, there is a command for that, so it is up to you.
With dataset, and more importantly with regularly scheduled snapshots, you can truly replicate datasets.
PS: It does make management easier, ie dataset for photos can be replicated without having files or folders from other people which would waste space on the destination volume.

mrramsey

Dabbler
@Apollo thanks for the help on all of this! I do have hopefully one last related question. My original pool dataset is set to the share type 'Unix' since I am exclusively a windows network, can / should I change that to windows?

Apollo

Wizard
@Apollo thanks for the help on all of this! I do have hopefully one last related question. My original pool dataset is set to the share type 'Unix' since I am exclusively a windows network, can / should I change that to windows?
If it works, I wouldn't bother, but someone else on the forum could comment on that.

mrramsey

Dabbler
Well I will be ordering new drives and another 4GB of RAM today. I just checked the smart data on the WD blacks and am at 6.9 years of power on time. So they are a bit older than I remembered.

Apollo

Wizard
Even though you got 6.9 years of power on time, I don't know if it is wise to get WD Black.
Again, someone should comment on that I have no experience with WD Black.

mrramsey

Dabbler
Even though you got 6.9 years of power on time, I don't know if it is wise to get WD Black.
Again, someone should comment on that I have no experience with WD Black.
Yeah I am going to go with WD Reds this time around. I actually had the black drives from a different project a while back.