Storage Pool Will Not Mount

RICKA

Cadet
The thumb drive that held the OS crashed. I reinstalled onto a new drive and restored the backup config. However, the main storage pool will not load. If I run zpool status, I don't see it. On the main screen I can see the Pool, but the status is "Unknown" and it says that "disk details not available". It also looks like there is not a volume associated with the pool.

During boot, I see the following messages for all 3 drives in the pool:
GEOM: ada0: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.
GEOM_PART: integrity check failed (ada0, GPT)
GEOM: ada1: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.
GEOM_PART: integrity check failed (ada1, GPT)
GEOM: ada2: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.
GEOM_PART: integrity check failed (ada2, GPT)

I have a ton of data on this pool. I would really hate to loose it. Please help!

Thanks,

Rick

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What do you get from zpool import ?

RICKA

Cadet
Nothing. I issue the command, there is a pause of a few seconds then it goes back to the prompt (no output). If I specify the pool name, then get the message that no such pool is available.

I can see the disks. Is it possible to create a new pool an join the zfs pool without loosing the data?

Redcoat

MVP
Any possibility that the machine had a boot attempt of another OS such as windows after the thumb drive failure?

RICKA

Cadet
Yes. That is exactly what happened. There is a HDD on that box that has the Windows Setup files installed. When the OS Thumb drive failed, the box booted to Windows setup. It did not go beyond the opening screen, but it did launch.

Redcoat

MVP
Oh boy! I don't have time to study a forum search right now (I have to go and mow the weeds ...) but I recall posts dealing with attempts at recovery from this situation. Good old windows has overwritten the partition table on your drives.

A search on "the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA." (for instance) brings up lots of hits