Static Route for Jail (Plex Plugin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupcake

Dabbler
Hi guys

I'm a bit confused. I need to add a static route to my plexmediaserver jail so that it can answer connection from a VPN network correctly. So far I get no response when I try to connect to plex from VPN. I've already added a static route in freenas' gui, but that only allows me to access the freenas server directly, not any plugins.

So where do I need to put the static route for a jail? Inside the jail? If yes, where? I'm a helpless noob when I can't use a nice GUI.

my setup:
Freenas: 192.168.0.99​
owncloud: 192.168.0.100​
plex: 192.168.0.101​
gateway Internet: 192.168.0.1 (router from provider)​
gateway VPN: 192.168.0.10 (DD-WRT router)​
VPN Network: 10.8.0.0​

The rule I've added in the freenas GUI is
Destination Network: 10.8.0.0/24​
Gateway: 192.168.0.10​

joeschmuck

Old Man
Can you get this to work without the VPN? That would be the first thing to answer. If you cannot get it working without VPN then you need to solve that problem first. Also ensure you are addressing the proper port number, it's not just an IP address to get to the GUI.

As for being a Noob, that is fine, we all start there but if you can access Plex GUI from your home computer then you need to become knowledgeable with networking, something this forum really doesn't cater to. DD-WRT is a fantastic program and I have been using it for around 10 years. I even just upgraded one of my routers (WRT54GS7) with newer code last week. Love the firmware! The forum at DD-WRT will greatly help you out, just experiment.

Cupcake

Dabbler
Thanks for your response.
I can access the Plex jail from LAN without any problems. I just want to be able to do so from outside my home :)
DD-WRT is already set up correctly and pushing the routes to the clients. Now I need to configure the routes on the server side. The only thing I really need to know is whether I need to configure static routes for the jail in the freenas server or inside the jail itself. My guess would be the latter, but it's just a guess.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you can access Plex from the LAN then you need to make no adjustments to the jail, it could care less how you access it from the WAN. Next you need to open up port forwarding through your router and see if you can access Plex from the WAN. You should have no problems doing this if you have any idea about port forwarding and assuming your ISP doesn't block the port you are using. If you are running DD-WRT well I hope you have an idea of what you are doing, if not then go to the DD-WRT forums and start asking questions or better yet, read the Wiki on DD-WRT, that is where any good response will put you. Once you have that working you can take on the more complicated VPN aspect. If you don't take the time to learn how your system is operating then you could accidentally allow access to other parts of your network for others to play with, you don't want that.

Status
Not open for further replies.