Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Standalone Freenas migration to Proxmox + Freenas

white_noise

I am wondering if i can do this:

Currently running Freenas standalone in its own server with 4 drives raidz2 and 1 SSD as its boot drive.

I would like to consolidate some items:

On my new server setup Proxmox with an LSI IT mode HBA card to pass the drives through, install Freenas onto it and then pass through the 4 drivers and restore everything.

blueether

FreeNAS Experienced
Very do-able, it is how I have my 2 boxes set up.

There are a few more people that use ESXi than proxmox I think but either should work well.

I pass the raw boot drive through (it is on an onboard sata port) and boot freenas that way and pass the pci HBA through to freenas. Doing it this way I can take all the drives out and run bare-metal again with out any effort.

white_noise

I pass the raw boot drive through (it is on an onboard sata port) and boot freenas that way and pass the pci HBA through to freenas. Doing it this way I can take all the drives out and run bare-metal again with out any effort.

Perfect!
I was interested in how you handled the boot drive so that's good to know.

blueether

FreeNAS Experienced
1579627579135.png

Dice

FreeNAS Expert
A while ago (10.x) It was recommended to prepare a VM setup of FN, by first installing on metal and then export a config file of the basics to have as a backup in case the virtualization endeavor would not go too well.
Ie, the point made relevant to your case - you could migrate with the config file to restore a fresh installation on proxmox without having to forward the boot drive of freenas on top of the HBA.

Im looking to do the maneuver of migrating FN from ESXi to Proxmox myself quite soon. I expect to rely on the config file.

alieNus

Very do-able, it is how I have my 2 boxes set up.

There are a few more people that use ESXi than proxmox I think but either should work well.

would you say, that using proxmox is better than ESXi? I'm thinking also about moving my FreenNAS to ProxMox VM, so I can move all my jails to LXC. What do you think?