SSH Permissions and Shell Commands Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

exactrawr

Dabbler
Hi,

I have a problem:

1. When I try and edit/create/delete files inside SSH I am getting error messages. Can someone please advise what I need to change to fix this? I am logging into SSH with a user account that owns the volumes I am trying to edit.

2. When I am inside SABNZBD plugin 0.7.14 I am trying to set up Categories. I can set everything up properly apart from selecting a script to use. The dropdown menu isnt there?

I have tried looking around the forum/web but cant seem to find a solution.

Thanks

Whattteva

Wizard
Perform this command on the directory that contains the files you're trying to edit:
Code:
ls -l

Post the output here.

I'm pretty sure the files are probably not set up correctly.
Also, it would help if you actually posted the actual error messages that you get instead of simply saying "error messages".

exactrawr

Dabbler
Ok ill do that when I get the chance. I'm using a ssh client it's called Win something (can't quite remember).

I'm more confused about my 2nd issue. Would you have any idea how to fix that?

Whattteva

Wizard
Unfortunately, I don't use SABNZBD plugin (I don't even know what that does), so you're out of luck there.
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people on these forums that do use that though, so you should get other responses pretty soon.

exactrawr

Dabbler
So I type that command in shell followed by the path of the file I am trying to ssh into?

Whattteva

Wizard
You can do this in two ways. Say the files you're trying to edit are located in /mnt/tank/files/
You can either do this:
Code:
# cd /mnt/tank/files
# ls -l

Or you can also do this directly:
Code:
# ls -l /mnt/tank/files/

exactrawr

Dabbler
When i typed ls -l /mnt/CPT/jails/sabnzbd_1/mnt/scripts/autoProcessTV

[root@freenas ~]# ls -l /mnt/CPT/jails/sabnzbd_1/mnt/scripts/autoProcessTV total 36
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root media 78 Sep 30 18:36 autoProcessTV.cfg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root media 3134 Sep 30 18:36 autoProcessTV.py
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root media 979 Sep 30 18:36 hellaToSickBeard.py
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root media 1048 Sep 30 18:36 sabToSickBeard.py

Whattteva

Wizard
I'm guessing you're trying to edit "autoProcessTV.cfg" file?
As long as you're logged in as root user, you should be able to do so without any issues.
If you are trying to edit those files using another user, however, you will definitely run into permissions issues because that listing only implies write permission for root and no one else.

Whattteva

Wizard
Well, that depends on what you're trying to do. If you're just going to change this once and never touch it again, then yes you can do that.
If you're going to be changing this frequently, it's wiser to just change the ownership of the file.

Generally, you don't really want to log in as root, unless you really need to (you can do some real damage with root user if you don't know what you're doing). Typically, you only log in as root, do what needs to be done as root, log off, then log back in as normal user once you're done.

If you wish to take ownership of the file, you can log in as root and perform this command on the file:
Code:
chown yourusername /path/to/the/file/youwanttotakeownership

Once you've taken ownership of the file, you're free to do whatever you wish to the file as you see fit without needing to log in as root.

Status
Not open for further replies.