Ssd config , need validation

vroger

Dabbler
I’ve a hp dl380 g7 with two intel xenon x5660 procs 144gb of ram and a mellenox Connectx-2 10gb card it in. I put 5x 200gb sas ssd’s in it and 3x256gb Sata ssd’s. It’s on a ibm megaraid raid card each drive configured independently via raid 0.

I’m currently running two mirror data sets with the 200gb sas drives, and one mirror set with the 256gb drives. Then 256gb for cache and the last 200gb drive for the logs.

thoughts on the Config?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Going to need the exact model number and manufacturer of those SSDs to tell you if this is a good config or if you're hurting yourself.

It’s on a ibm megaraid raid card each drive configured independently via raid 0.
You need to get that card out of there and replace it with a proper non-RAID HBA like the HP H220 or similar.

vroger

Dabbler
Going to need the exact model number and manufacturer of those SSDs to tell you if this is a good config or if you're hurting yourself.

You need to get that card out of there and replace it with a proper non-RAID HBA like the HP H220 or similar.

Does that support 8 ports? The onboard one didn't have one, I can dig around for a different raid card. I'm trying not to spend any out of pocket on this build.

Of course, that means i'm going to have to rebuild yet again...

what advantages does that card give over a raid card doing raid 0 on each drive?

vroger

Dabbler
I should have said the onboard raid didn't support 8 drives with separate virtual drives.

My main storage server for slow disks, running merger fs, has a lsi 9211-8i in it.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
ZFS on top of hardware RAID has some particularly bad failure states, specifically when there are pending writes in the RAID card's cache, then the system crashes. If the RAID card isn't able to replay those writes exactly and provide a stable state from ZFS's perspective, data corruption gets flagged. You're also dependent on the card to do rebuilds, and performance often suffers.

My main storage server for slow disks, running merger fs, has a lsi 9211-8i in it.

That's exactly the kind of card you want here - although perhaps a newer LSI 9207-8i for the greater IOPS ceiling for your SSDs, or its OEM equivalent the HP H220.

Do you have a make/model of the SSDs for me?