SOLVED Special device 192.168.***.xx/mnt/media does not exist-Solved -ish (Fresh install)

Status
Not open for further replies.

travalon

Explorer
I have a freenas 8.3 set up with NFS shares to stream to my XBMC box. it was working fine until tonight. It has a static IP address but when I try to access any of the content from the XBMC box I get the faild to connect to server message. So I checked the box it's self and it seemed to be stuck in a reboot. I rebooted it and still couldn't retrieve content. I then tried to mount the shares on 2 different machines and got the same :Special device 192.168.***.xx/mnt/media does not exist:" message.
I can ssh in and look around just can't mount the share.

I Know I did something to it because I was adding files and re organizing things but kept getting "you do not have permission to view the contents of this folder" or some similar message. I got irritated and sshed in then proceeded to chmod 777 all the shares so I could move them around. ever since then I cannot access them through a mount or from my XBMC box. I do have some back up config files but they are all before I organized the shares. If I use them will all the content I added disappear? I think so. How do I fix this?

I know it's my fault but Google and the other forums search didn't give me alot to go on.

Thanks to all....

paleoN

Wizard
Perhaps you just need to recreate the shares if you renamed the folders. If not you need to provide the actual specifics.

travalon

Explorer
Re: Special device 192.168.***.xx/mnt/media does not exist

I did rename some folders in the shares but in the past that didn't cause any problems. What I was doing was adding files from different machines. I think since the files came from different machines, the owner permissions were specific to those machines so when I tried to access them from a DIFFERENT machine access was denied. Hence chmod 777. As far as the specifics, I'm not sure exactly what you need. I thought I was thourough in my 1st post but I'm still a noob.

If I delete the shares and create new ones will all the data in the pools be safe?

I have 2 x 2TB set up as a mirror, 2 x 500GB mirrored, 2 x 250Gb mirrored connected through USB

If I do a fresh install of the latest freenas can I just import my pools and set up my other boxes to access them? I'm thinking the permissions will be imported as well and I'll not have access.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Yes, if you delete the shares this does not delete the data from the pool. Then recreate the share. You should make sure you set the correct permissions when you do share.

travalon

Explorer

Now the box won't boot. 1 in 10 tries it does but then it freezes. If I do a fresh install can I just import the shares? I think I'm going to have a look at the manual again.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Your boot flash must be corrupt, that shouldn't happen by just removing the shares and recreating them.

I strongly recommend you perform a fresh install preferably on a different Flash drive and see if your system boots a few times okay, then if you saved the configuration file then restore it and see if you can get this working. You can do an automatic import of the pool(s) so that should work fine. You will then have to delete and/or recreate the shares depending on how things go.

travalon

Explorer

Thank you, working on that now. I found if I select the flash from boot options it will boot. I had found a thread with a similar issue. i'll look for it again. I managed to make a back up of the config file already and found 1 from a couple of weeks ago from b4 all this started so I have options. Also all my pools and shares are reported as "Healthy" so that's a + as well. Just as an after thought, all my shares are just mirrored. Can I just pull the disks and see whats on them from another machine? I think I saw something that verifies this but I can't remember where.

Thanks for your help.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Just as an after thought, all my shares are just mirrored. Can I just pull the disks and see whats on them from another machine?
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. If you're asking to do this with your pool drives, the answer is no, not individually and I'm not sure why you would want to if it's being reported as healthy. If it's something else, I have no idea what you are talking about.

travalon

Explorer

Yes I was curious if I could access the data from the pool drive because as it is now I can'tget at anything on the nas. There is some stuff I really need to get at. I've tried downloading 8.3.1 but the sha256 is wrong and it won't boot.multiple downloads multiple failures.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Here is the path to the files. Do not use -p2 if you are having problems, I'd start with 8.3.1-RELEASE and load that on to a clean Flash drive, boot, Auto Import your pool. Create shares as needed and then pull off your data to some other medium if needed. After that then try to recover.
Code:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-8.3.1/

travalon

Explorer

Beautiful!!! Thank you for the link>>>> I had to get the / FreeNAS-8.3.1 / RELEASE / x64 /img.xz to get it to work. It is a 2Gb file after unpacking as opposed to the iso's that kept downloading as 118MB. I don't know if it's my systems' or a sourceforge issue.
I auto imported and everything seems to be ok. I still need to find the instructions for the cron job to make back ups and I hope to find other useful cron job tutorials as well. Having issues with email reporting but I can figure it out. All of this was caused by me losing access to the nas after doing a chmod 777 on everything. So now that I am up and running I have an updated (8.3.1) system. But, the original issue (can't access my data) is still prevelant. It has to do with the permissions I set. As I understand it 777 opens read, write, execute to all users and groups. I know this is bad but i was irritated. As before I can still SSH in but that's the only real access I have. I can mount a share in a folder but here are the permissions.

From mount: http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7135/selection001w.png

SSh then ls -l: http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7452/permissionsq.png

I'm not sure how this happened if I chmod'd 777. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you again joeschmuck. You are a ubiquitous presence here and I know you make a huge difference.

paleoN

Wizard
I can mount a share in a folder but here are the permissions.
That's a start if a poor one.

If not you need to provide the actual specifics.
Now how about the rest of it? This would include such things as the actual share configuration in FreeNAS, the full path to the share, mount options, IPs, etc. Any & all relevant specifics.

I'm not sure how this happened if I chmod'd 777. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
You didn't. The storage folder has permissions of 754 not 777. Furthermore, it appears to be in your home folder on the NAS and not at /mnt/media.

travalon

Explorer

Thks Paleon, you too are a ubiquitious presence and I will get on the requested info asap.

travalon

Explorer

If a picture's worth a thousand words.......... I have 3 pools Media,Five00m, and Music. Each pool is a NFS share with no data sets. There is only 1 user (me). I want to be able to access the shares with my xbmc box as well as mount them in one of my many linux boxes. Eventually i'll set up an automatic back up for my wife's windoze on her own CIFS share and want access from anywhere with an internet connection. (But that's for later)
So here's my set up..........
sshpermissions.png

Root:
rootuser.png
rootgroups2.png

rootgroupsvtdwsz.png

user:
usersettings.png
adminuser.png

travisgroups.png

Shares:
Five00m
five00mperms.png

Music
musicperms.png

media
mediaperms.png

Disks:
disks.png

settings:
nfssettingsd.png

global1h.png
settings2yp.png

settings1a.png

Interface:

interfaceq.png
interfacesettings.png

sshsettings.png

I used the bigger screen shots so any interested parties don't have to open and close pics. Please let me know if this was poor form as they take up a lot of real estate.
I can't think of any other info I can provide. If there's more needed, please tell me and where to find it.

jjq

Dabbler
Hi there; I'm so glad you solved your issue;
I had the same problem, in the following configuration:

NAS server - freenas 8.0.4 , with 2 nfs shares - NAS1 and NAS2;
laptop PC with Ubuntu 12.10
desktop PC with Ubuntu 12.10

command used for mounting nfs share was:
sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.5:/mnt/NAS1 /media/NAS1
and I had 2 cases:
- on the desktop PC it worked OK
- on the laptop it gave the error " special device 192.168.0.5:/mnt/NAS1 does not exist;

I also read this post and I was just about to erase and reconfigure the nfs shares; but I wanted to check if the shares are still available; for that I've made the same command on desktop PC and the shares were mounted with no problem; after that I was browsing the shares with the external .mkv player which also "saw" the shares with no problem; so I've figured out that some issues are related with this "nfs" I was trying to mount on the laptop PC.

Googling the net about "nfs shares" I found out that :
" An NFS mount is set up between at least two virtual servers. The machine hosting the shared network is called the server, while the ones that connect to it are called ‘clients’. - complete article is here: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-set-up-an-nfs-mount-on-ubuntu-12-04

From this well explained tutorial I setup the "client" on the laptop PC, issuing on the terminal:
apt-get install nfs-common portmap
After the installation, I was able to mount the NAS1 nfs share to the laptop PC;

Hoping it will help others also,
-- jjq -- > respect for all freenas developers <

Status
Not open for further replies.