Spam on this forum

Apollo

Wizard
Second time in about 24hr I came across SPAM created from new members (first time posters).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Second time in about 24hr I came across SPAM created from new members (first time posters).

Yeah, this software isn't that great, and some of the defaults are actually inverted with respect to a technical forum.

We don't seem to have any late night moderators anymore, and I'm generally the first one here in the morning. If you notice something bad, please flag it and it'll be dealt with.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
We clean it as fast as we can but it does take the help of the community. Thank you for reporting it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
How did you know he was a spammer?
Sometimes it's pretty obvious. I got an email notification the other day that a thread I'd contributed to two years ago had a reply. Clicking the link, it was a post from a brand-new user (had just joined that day), "suggesting" a website of uncertain relevance to the discussion. That had me suspicious. Then I saw that all five of his posts to date were doing the same thing, promoting the same site. Yep, spam confirmed.

Edit: although after seeing @jgreco's post, I can't help thinking:
1552382624257.png

Apollo

Wizard
more incoming SPAM under 20 minutes or so.

Redcoat

MVP

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Can you tell me how you stopped?

Well, my problem is that I wake up once or twice overnight. If I allow myself to get too far down a train of thought about all the stuff I have to do, I can't get back to sleep, and end up giving up trying to get back to sleep, and go work instead. So the trick is to avoid that.

Redcoat

MVP
Well, my problem is that I wake up once or twice overnight. If I allow myself to get too far down a train of thought about all the stuff I have to do, I can't get back to sleep, and end up giving up trying to get back to sleep, and go work instead. So the trick is to avoid that.
My problem too. But only since I retired. When I was still employed I was too tired and the nights were too short anyway to wake up more than once...

Apollo

Wizard
Hi Guys,

I didn't know there was a delay between "Report" actions.
I flagged 3 messages in less than a minute but I get this message asking for me to wait.

I think I understand the reason behind the need to throdle down reports but it kind of annoying.

Attachments

• spam.png
    spam.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 339

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Hi Guys,

I didn't know there was a delay between "Report" actions.
I flagged 3 messages in less than a minute but I get this message asking for me to wait.

I think I understand the reason behind the need to throdle down reports but it kind of annoying.

I don't know if there is something to configure for that specifically, it may be 'flood' related instead.

As for being online during the 3rd shift or so, my work is in hospitality primarily 2nd shift, but anyone who knows hospitality knows it can run late. If my work has an event that ends at midnight, I often still have things to clean up for at least thirty minutes. I've adapted to stay up until about 4:30am and sleep until noon-2pm. Most of the time I start work 3pm or later which still leaves me time to get ready and even do needed laundry before. This also means that even if i am at work or on my way home after 2am, I'm not overly tired.

So, in a nutshell, due to my work, the schedule it tends toward, and adapting to it, I am often looking at these forums as late (or early depending on perspective) as 4:30am, when many others are not.

My chosen focus on the forums is for theme work, and some other various trouble-solving. When I am doing neither or while in passing and I notice, I certainly take care of spammers and their accounts.

Last edited:

Apollo

Wizard
Hi Tigersharke, I wasn't making any comment related to how people are handling their time or anything to keep this forum active.
It just appeared for a moment it was easier for someone to create an account and post spam than flagging the spams.
The spammer could be a single individual or many, but it seems it occurs between 10:30PM-12AM and the subject is more or less the same.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Hi Tigersharke, I wasn't making any comment related to how people are handling their time or anything to keep this forum active.
It just appeared for a moment it was easier for someone to create an account and post spam than flagging the spams.
The spammer could be a single individual or many, but it seems it occurs between 10:30PM-12AM and the subject is more or less the same.
It wasn't my intent to seem like a complaint about being 'put upon' to keep the forum nice, just to say that due to my normal schedule (reasons described) I am often on the forums and active and might notice spam during that time.
What I can say about flood throttle, is that the effect is as you describe but you should NOT have been affected. I have not yet found any setting that relates to the report function, so I'm baffled.

Apollo

Wizard
No rush then.
Thanks.