Sonarr / mono corrupt copies over CIFS, help setting up NFS for same share?

talz13

Dabbler
I currently run an Ubuntu 18.04 VM with sabnzbd, sonarr, and radarr, to manage downloads, and send them to my FreeNAS box for storage. I've been running across this documented issue with Sonarr, mono and copying large files over CIFS, where the files will get truncated or corrupt on the destination because of a bug in mono:

https://forums.sonarr.tv/t/random-truncation-or-corrupted-files-on-cifs-samba-share/16027/5

I believe I've at least reduced my issue by disabling caching on my Ubuntu client, and seem to be getting more reliable results, but the transfer speeds have gone way down (from gigabit speeds down to <100mb speeds) when copying to the FreeNAS.

The real solution that everyone suggests is to move to NFS, as the issue does not present itself when transferring over that type of connection. However, my FreeNAS dataset is set up for Windows sharing (and the majority of my end-user usage is from Windows), and I can't figure out if/how I can set up the same share with NFS. I did set this up once, but was unable to write to the share after mounting, likely because of the ACLs or ownership caused by the Windows sharing setup.

Is this possible, or just a really bad idea?

talz13

Dabbler
Right now I have just tried disabling cache for my cifs mount on my downloader vm. It's hard to say if it will solve most of my issues or not, as it's a bit of a random occurrence when the corruption / truncation happens.

I really think being able to write to the shared folder over nfsv4 would be the best solution, but I ran into permissions issues when I tried mounting an nfsv4 share pointing to the same location.

talz13

Dabbler
Did you decide upon a solution for this?
I was thinking of using the mapall options to map the NFS share to the intended AD user / group, but they do not show up in the dropdown. wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g both show the full list of AD users and groups.