Some computers cannot access FreeNAS share.

William Bravin

Contributor
hello all,

here is my situation

my icybox went of the fritz and it destroyed the pool of my nas. I have backups and copy of the drive content. so i decide to rebuild my freenas environment. using 2 Kingston traveller USB. the installation onto the second USB went almost fine (i got GPTerror 49) several times however it did boot. I restored my data on a new pool built the shares added a user and all is fine. both my laptops and my htpc work fine. I could access my shares form all computers with no problems.

Now i decide to fix the boot USB (using 2 toshiba 16gb) . The installation worked fine and the GPTError disappeared. i imported the pool and maintained the same setup as before in terms of shares, datasets and users.

now the 2 laptops on win 10 work fine. On the HTPC, which is also on win 10, when i go and select a shared folder on the nas i get:

a pop up asking for network login credentials. I insert my username and password as i have in my user account in freenas. and I get invalid username and password.

i have checked my credentials, checked network sharing, checked my workgroup. no changes were made on the htpc from the "old boot" environment to the new boot environment. MY windows credentials have the correct user id and password.

please what am i missing?

thank you in advance for putting up with me and your help

William Bravin

Contributor
figured it out . i did not check the ntlmv1 box in the shares. why would i need to check this box if all pcs are on the same version of os and 2 of them worked and one not. thank anyways for reading my drib

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Some Windows applications take it upon themselves to edit the registry to make Windows use ancient protocols.
No, that doesn't seem to be a very well-behaved thing to do. Yes, it probably counts as malware.

William Bravin

Contributor
Thank you all for your responses. if checking the ntlmvi poses a security risk, then what is my alternative to get the htpc working without it Please bear in mind that the htpc is not used to download anything it just manages my media and at the most i us it to view youtube content. Once again thank you.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, you fix the configuration error on the client that has it trying to use obsolete protocols. There's bound to be more information on the forum, or you can google your problem.

William Bravin

Contributor
Hello all

Today I added a new freenas server to my network. I connected it to the connection that was used by a buffalonas server.

at this point i am back to the situation i was 3 days ago. NO pc and no nas under explorer network
Again I can map the shared drives and i could access them, I can insert the IP address of my freenas server in explorer and it will add it to the network environment. But when i close explorer and reopen it the nas is no longer there.

I performed the following again on both computers and rebooted the pcs, the nas and the router
  • ipconfig /flushdns
  • ipconfig /registerdns
  • ipconfig /release
  • ipconfig /renew
  • netsh int ip reset
  • netsh winsock reset
  • reset network adapter
  • sharing is turned on
  • bios over tcpip is checked
  • the 5 necessary services are automatic
  • nfs smb v1 and smb direct features are installed

to no avail.
is version win 10 1809 so flaky? from the looks of it ver 1903 is no better

My HTPC seemed to be working fine yesterday with all the network attached devices showing under networks. Yuppie

My laptop on the other hand after doing the same process as i did on the HTPC no joy. It just showed itself and the HTPC but no nas under network

When i turned off my HTPC last night it was working well. It showed itself, the laptop my 3 NAS the printers my phone my vera control, my router and my amazon alexa

This morning after turning it on It only see itself and my laptop my phone my vera control, my router and my amazon alexa in the network section but no NAS

ON both laptop and HTPC
If i insert in the top menu bar \\freenas \\buffalonas and \\freenas2 they all appear in networks and i can access the sub folders

If i close explorer and re open it both freenas disappear from my network environment., this makes replication, synchronizing and backup difficult and impossible to automate.

I know that this is a microsoft issue and has no place here. But I am out of options and i am certain that the much more experienced folks on this forum have experienced this a resolved it

What else can i do?

Thank you for your patience and understanding in the matter

thewizard

Dabbler
Are you talking about the auto discovery in Windows? When you open the file explorer and then click on "Network" and Windows attempts to autospastically detect all the devices it can on your local network?

My FreeNAS has never appeared in there either. On Windows boxes I usually just map the shares I want to use as network drives usually as a Z:\ or something like that. Makes it easy and means I can use tools like SyncBack to copy files around with some verification on a schedule. This is nice for shares you want to write to as you can remember the credentials and reconnect at logon.

You can also just right click on your desktop and say create shortcut and make a webdav \\freenas type shortcut which when double clicked will go straight to the NAS share you specify. I use this more for shares I just have read access to.

William Bravin

Contributor
HI thank you for responding, Yes I am talking about "network" discovering my devices. Yes I did map my shared drives as you did I like your solution for quick access.

However i still fell that under explorer network I should see my 3 NAS servers and their shared folders as they did 4 days ago.

I also posted this on microsoft tech forum and no one has responded yet.

Thank you once again

William Bravin

Contributor
Thank you for your response.
I read the page and perused most of the links
I see many CLI references I am not savvy enough to complete these tasks correctly and without screwing my system more than what it currently is. I am not comfortable in fully understanding what he is doing, when and where.

thank you once again

William Bravin

Contributor
hi out of laziness all my pcs and all my NAS belong to workgroup

William Bravin

Contributor
Hi Guess what all of a sudden everything appeared in network neighborhood. I went to make me a sandwich when i cam bak network neighborhood was populated. .... Windows 10 is flaky. I i were comfortable with CLI i would migrate all to linux

Thank you for your help