[SOLVED] Update 11.3 U2 [Errno 13] Permission denied: './ValidateUpdate'

LMB

Dabbler
Since yesterday I have been trying to install the update 11.3 U2. Sadly I am faced with this message:

err01.PNG

And then icon appears in top bar of download happening:

err02.PNG

If I click on it I get this message:

err03.PNG

After an hour, nothing changes, download icon keeps moving but no update happens. If I log in again, everything is like normal.

Strangely enough, I was able to update one of three of my servers.

Any ideas what can be blocking the update?

Redcoat

MVP
Please mark thread SOLVED. Button at top right of thread header takes you the subject line edit

Reactions: LMB

aookeopinetree

Dabbler
Just had the same problem. My fix was something different which actually fixes the problem instead of a workaround. What happened to me was I needed to initilize my disks firstv because the update couldnt write to the vdev for temp space. HTH anyone else with this error cause I found this thread using google and I assume many people are seeing this.

Jahava

Cadet
Just had the same problem. My fix was something different which actually fixes the problem instead of a workaround. What happened to me was I needed to initilize my disks firstv because the update couldnt write to the vdev for temp space. HTH anyone else with this error cause I found this thread using google and I assume many people are seeing this.

This also fixed my issue. Thanks for posting this, it was very helpful.

This is something I think FreeNAS can do better. I filed a bug with a request: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-106664

omcn7

Dabbler
This also fixed my issue. Thanks for posting this, it was very helpful.

This is something I think FreeNAS can do better. I filed a bug with a request: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-106664

I had an issue with this permission error also, google got me here. However my issue was issuing an update without my zpools unlocked. The issue is documented in @LMB 's link above.

I had not set NOEXEC (although I had thought about it to patch certain CVEs) manually. I just had to unlock those zpools. :)