SOLVED Mount main pool in jail...

OK, so, maybe ive had a stroke or something... But, i distinctly remember in previous versions of FreeNAS, being able to mount my main pool inside of the jail... Is this no longer a thing that can be done? Do I NEED a subdirectory to mount? Id prefer to have several things point to a downloads folder that is a subfolder of the main pool in FreeNAS and then move those downloads to their perspective folders (Movies, TV Shows, etc)... am i missing something?

garm

Wizard
Nullfs won’t traverse filesystems so if you have nested datasets under your pool dataset you won’t have access to that. It will also ensure you don’t create a loop where nullfs references itself and kills your pool. So if you giv some kind of hint of what you are trying to do maybe someone can spot what you messed up

Nullfs won’t traverse filesystems so if you have nested datasets under your pool dataset you won’t have access to that. It will also ensure you don’t create a loop where nullfs references itself and kills your pool. So if you giv some kind of hint of what you are trying to do maybe someone can spot what you messed up

AH! Sorry, my bad...

OK, so, I have a main pool... /mnt/Storage ... Under that are all my different folders of random things (movies, TV Shows, Pics... etc (all in their own respective folders)...
One of those folders is downloads (and from there it breaks into complete, incomplete, NZBTorrents (which is like a black hole folder that i dump downloaded NZBs or torrent links for SabNZB or transmission to grab))...
I want to set up a jail to combine the various apps I use to gather media (TV Shows primarilly, but also movies) and be able to access both the downloads folder and its subfolders, and also the TV Shows folder and the Movies folder so that the jail is capable of being autonomous... something new pops up, it downloads it, unpacks it and moves it from the downloads folder to the appropriate place...

I am not 100% sure what you mean by nested filesets... Do you mean if I have the system set up to ffunction as a linux drive (primarilly NFS sharing like I do) but also run SMB sharing (or transfer files from a Windows device to the main pool) that that may be causing my inability to set these up correctly? This is a new FreeNAS build and rig for me... but im not trying to do anything I didnt have set up in FreeNAS 9...

CraigD

Patron
Your hardware and freeNAS version are not shown

We can't help....

But you can help yourself

Look up Sonarr, Radarr, Transmission, and Jackett in the Resources Jail section

Have Fun

Fredda

Guru
You still have not mentioned your FreeNAS version, but with version 11.2 (u5) it should look like this:

jail.png

Your hardware and freeNAS version are not shown

We can't help....

But you can help yourself

Look up Sonarr, Radarr, Transmission, and Jackett in the Resources Jail section

Have Fun
OK... so... FreeNAS 11.2, and while Im not entirely sure what my hardware matters... It's an HP Proliant ML350 Gen 8, Dual E5-2690 V2 processors, 96GB RAM, 4x8TB Seagate drives...

My question and problem have nothing to do with Sonarr, Transmission, Radarr, and Jackett (i didnt even mention Radarr or Jackett...but, OK)...

THe issue isnt with plugins or applications I WANT to run, my issue is with mapping my main pool so that a jail can functionally see the entire share and move data accordingly... And Im using a jail to do this because it reduces network traffic as a jail has direct disk access and a virtual machine (what i am currently using) requires use of the network to transfer files...)

So, while I am thankful that youve read my post, your response has little, almost nothing to do with my question and is rather far from helpful on any level...

You still have not mentioned your FreeNAS version, but with version 11.2 (u5) it should look like this:

View attachment 32635
Yes, sorry for not mentioning the FreeNAS verion, it is in fact 11.2.

That is what it looks like... or, mostly (attached is a screenshot)...

THe problem is, when I go to launch the jail, it kicks back an error... (also, screenshot 2)

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 418
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 427

Fredda

Guru
You should mount /mnt/Storage/media or something similar and not /mnt/Storage. Looks like you did not read garms remark on loops or the popup in my screenshot.

You should mount /mnt/Storage/media or something similar and not /mnt/Storage. Looks like you did not read garms remark on loops or the popup in my screenshot.

You are correct, I did not read the popup :)

As for the remarks on loops, i did read that... And assumed thats part of my problem... as is sort of mentioned in my response to garms...

So, does this mean to implement what I want to happen, means i have to redo my entire file structure? (To have all files handled inside of a single folder under the mail pool? IE:
/mnt
Storage
>Media
>>downloads
>>TV Shows
>> Movies
>ALL MY OTHER FOLDERS AND FILES

And then I would need to set all my other devices to call on that /mnt/Storage/Media/TV Shows rather than being able to keep "TV Shows" in /mnt/Storage/TV Shows? (/mnt/Storage/TV Shows is how i was doing it with jails in FreeNAS 9...

now that I think of it though... I believe 9 required you to create a ZVol that maps wherever you want and i was able to access the main folder that way?

OK, so, I think I figured out how to do what I want to do... Its a few extra steps... but...

I can mount each folder (downloads, TV Shows, Movies) as subfolders in the iocage .../root/Storage/Movies, etc... Ill mess with it and see if it works the way i think it will...

Thanks guys for the help!

garm

Wizard
/mnt/Storage contains /mnt/Storage/iocage and thus creates a loop. You solved the loop so maybe you can set your thread to solved?

garm

Wizard
I am not 100% sure what you mean by nested filesets

A dataset is the filesystem part of ZFS. It’s a mountable entity you can write data to. In terms of system administration, separate datasets is akin to separate formatted drives or partitions/slices with their own mountpoints. So traversing those filesystems is not always possible.

You mention “folders”, if this is something you created in the web UI then it’s not folders but datasets. It would be a folder if you created it using mkdir in a shell or in a share using a client of some sort

/mnt/Storage contains /mnt/Storage/iocage and thus creates a loop. You solved the loop so maybe you can set your thread to solved?
I just edited the title to say SOLVED... what is the correct procedure for marking a thread as solved?