Solved: Can't Create Pool In UI

brando56894

Wizard
Edit: I figured out my issue before I hit submit, but to anyone else that runs into this you need to name the pool in the top left corner, there is no help text to let you know the field exists, but there is the help bubble next to it.

I'm running 20.09-MASTER-20200902-132912 and it seems that with Chrome (running Chrome OS) I am unable to click the create button under Pool Manager where you select what drives to add to the pool. The button is blue, I just can't do anything with it.

I created the pool manually from the shell, but it doesn't show up in the UI.

victorhooi

Contributor
I got hit by this issue as well - where I was unable to create a pool, because the "Create" button was greyed out.

I believe the source of confusion is due to a UI bug.

The actual text field (where you type in name) is not differentiated at all from the rest of the page:

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 6.42.40 am.png

(The actual text field is to the left of the first ? symbol).

For example:

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 6.43.57 am.png

Should we file a bug for this somewhere, or is it a known issue?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
In the NIGHTLYs we are introducing an improved UI model which is simpler to use. However, you are seeing the very first development versions prior to the 1st official numbered release in October. There are bugs. You can assume this is an adequate report.

victorhooi

Contributor
Of course - I understand it's bleeding edge and there are bugs =).

Cool, I can keep reporting issues in the forum - will include version info, let me know if there's other info you need.

I'll keep kicking the tyres - some things are show-stoppers (e.g. creating a new dataset, starting/stopping services, or granting access) - but once we've overcome those, I can start to test other things as well. (e.g. compatibility across OSes etc).

Also - wanted to say - really excited about TrueNAS Scale, and love your work!

brando56894

Wizard
I have this spun up in a VM and I'm going to try to replicate my multimedia setup that I have on the physical box in the VM. Nice to see that docker is working as intended, it's just not exposed in the UI.

brando56894

Wizard
In the NIGHTLYs we are introducing an improved UI model which is simpler to use.

Is this UI going to be ported over to Core? I run that as well in a VM, just for comparison sake and have noticed that the two UIs are different.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
For TrueNAS 12.0 CORE, the UI will stay as is.
We are using TrueNAS SCALE as the development platform for an updated and reorganized UI. No changes to middleware or APIs, just the UI.

We assume users will like the improvements and then the same UI software can be re-used in TrueNAS 12.X... but we'll wait for some positive feedback before we pull the trigger.