SMB Sharing Setup / Adjusting Permissions / Wizard W/o Volume Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scw922

Cadet
I am trying to set up a simple SMB share on my (newly built) system. My basic configuration is that I have three HDDs at ada1, ada2, and ada3 that I have formatted into the storage pool, and another one at ada0 that I do not want added to or included in my FreeNAS setup.

In reading through the forums and documentation, I have noted that it seems like the best way to setup the share is using the wizard, but every time I start to do that, it shows me formatting ada0 into a new volume, which I don't want to do. If I set up the share using the sharing menu on the GUI, I can't figure out how to edit the permissions so that I can grant write access to the volume.

Help!

CraigD

Patron
Click manual setup and do what you want, this comes with the usual warning: Just because you can don't make it right

Storage > Volumes > Volume Manager > Manual Setup

Have Fun

Redcoat

MVP
I support @garm's advice - I'm sure that will help you. But, I'm curious - what do you intend to do with ada0?

Scw922

Cadet
I support @garm's advice - I'm sure that will help you. But, I'm curious - what do you intend to do with ada0?
I got the box used from work, and ada0 is the legacy drive that came with the box; it has a fully licensed version of Windows 10 professional as well as a couple of other items that I was unwilling to give up.

It is also only a 250 GB factory installed unit, and the drives I'm using on for the ZFS pool are all WD Blue 2TB units.

Status
Not open for further replies.