SMB Shares Inaccessible from Windows 10 Map Network Drive

geoffwhere

Contributor
1599712637495.png

1599712707604.png

1599712760949.png

1599712952016.png

The only change here from the original setup was to add User 'gwhitele' as a Member of sawit group, but I still get the error "The specified network password is not correct".
Baffled. And thanks again for your response and ongoing detective work.

Attachments

• 1599712913372.png
    1599712913372.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 265

geoffwhere

Contributor
What user account are you using to access these shares? According to the ls -ld output, the Geoff share is restricted to the gwhitele user or the Geoff_private group. The Public share is restricted to the sawit user or the Public group. Is your account a member of both groups?
Hi Samuel, Further to my earlier reply about your above struck out question on my FreeNAS account members and groups, the mystery has deepened.
My desktop PC involuntarily updated to W10 Build 2004, and that introduced further quirks around network drive mapping. In the process, I discovered accidentally that my Firewall (ZoneAlarm) had blocked the mapping to the other (standalone - non FreeNAS) devices, but I was able to fix that within the firewall settings. On investigating whether that might also have been the problem with both FreeNAS and Plex IP addresses, that drew blanks as no firewall settings seem to be preventing access.
Strangely, W10 has been intermittently disconnecting from those non-FreeNAS drives and I'm having to remap to them every few restarts of the W10 PC. That's no big deal as, despite the annoyance, it's easy enough to reinstate their mapped status.
Even more strange, the Plex virtual server running on the FreeNAS box now won't allow download of image files, even though the Plex interface dashboard displays all the folders (which are actually on the FreeNAS Share) and related image thumbnails. Before the W10 b.2004 update Plex was fully accessible from the Windows Browser dashboard, even though my FreeNAS Shares (on the same server but with a different IP address) have not been. Now, both IP addresses reject mapped access requests from Windows. (I understand that the Plex access is granted by login at the FreeNAS point, so refusal is most likely to be from the inability to connect to FreeNAS.)
As you can probably imagine, I'm going out of my head, and over it, trying to break down all the various potential points of failure, but obviously still without any success.
While I greatly appreciate your help and guidance thus far, I feel I may be wearing out my welcome and might need to look for a different solution. But the thought of salvaging the important files and deconstructing the FreeNAS and Plex server might be a bit too much to take on right now.
So I'm holding out in the hope that the information I've provided can lead to an 'Aha' moment and we can all walk away with huge smiles.
Regards,
Geoff Whiteley

Last edited:

geoffwhere

Contributor
What user account are you using to access these shares? According to the ls -ld output, the Geoff share is restricted to the gwhitele user or the Geoff_private group. The Public share is restricted to the sawit user or the Public group. Is your account a member of both groups?
To Samuel Tai: Dear Sir, I know you're busy and I respect that. However, I'm still no closer to resolving the above problem (including the above answers to your previous questions. After some digging around, I've just now tried creating a new User (geoffw) and adding that user to both Groups (Geoff_private and Public), and to each ACL with group@ permission, applying permission recursively, then saving the changed entries.
Despite this, when trying to map the /mnt/Primary_Data/Public as \\192.168.90.14\public or \Geoff_private, I still get the Windows error message "The specified network password is not correct", in spite of entering the same password that was created for the new FreeNAS User accounts.
I'm truly at wit's end with this and, despite constant attempts to get hints and instructions from various sources to resolve it, no luck.
Would it please be possible for you to review the messages in this thread, especially the most recent, where you asked me to provide information about permissions.
I'll be eternally grateful if you can see your way clear to help me put this issue to bed.
Thanks in advance.

geoffwhere

Contributor
Also, please provide the output of testparm -sv, and the details of your FreeNAS hardware.
Dear Samuel,
A miracle has been bestowed upon me! The latest W10 update (20H2 + additional patch) appears to have broken down the wall between Windows and my FreeNAS environment.
Now, from Windows Explorer I've been able to map to one of my SMB Shares, the other reports 'Folder Empty'. This may be the result of my poking around in FreeNAS trying to break the code as per previous posts in this topic thread. It may be that I've either screwed the data in that Share or blocked it because of the changes I was attempting while trying to gain access. As I'm totally unqualified in usinfg Shell Commands, I'm not sure what to do next.
With my limited knowledge, I was able to use MC and see the directories in my FreeNAS Shares. The Share that Windows says is empty is there on FreeNAS but I don't know how to check its content. Way back when I setup FreeNAS I created a Snapshot of my Shares but I don't know how to check that and/or recover the data back into my (empty?) Share.
Any guidance you can offer, or point me to instructions that will step me through what needs to be examined would be very much appreciated.

geoffwhere

Contributor
OK so I am having the same EXACT problem. While Geoff seems to be novice at using command line and putty he seems capable. I am a Linux \ Windows guru and I have to say that FREENAS is the most complicate, difficult appliance ever. I can get iSCSI to work, so obviously the other things like IP and storage is working. I have reinstalled freenas 3 times now and this is extremely frustrating. I have another device openfiler which works PERFECT, now I get freenas because interface is better and performance is better, but I can go back to openfiler not a problem.

I cannot get shares to work. I am a Windows admin going back 20 years, so this is NOT new. I do hyper-v Administration this should be VERY simple but it's not.

I have done ALL the steps looked at the manual back and fourth there ARE no options missing. It is simply NOT working. smb.log shows nothing except ready to accept connections. So why is this NOT working have no clue, but as I have Netapp, Jetstore, Convergent, VMware, vSAN, and an entire Datacenter under my belt this is the *ONLY* appliance that is giving me trouble, it's not even for work it was something I was going JUST to test.. but this seems fruitless. Can't understand why people insist on making layer upon layer of non-sense just to get a share up.. ridiculous. I can stand up ANY windows server, get shares and permissions in 20 minutes start to finish no problem. All other SAN as I mentioned working great they ALL have shares setup first time some use SAMBA, so I am also familiar with that, but this is incredibly restrictive to use FREENAS.

It's not a total loss, as iSCSI works, networking, I have Directory Services it's working great. I have installed 3 times, rebooted this appliance 4 times still nothing. As Geoff states what are we overlooking? I think it's a simply FLAW in the software. I came here not looking for support but merely to reinforce Geoff frustration, it's utterly insane that things need to be this complicated to setup. INSANE!
Hello Neo,
Here I am 4 months later and still no joy in getting access to a fully functional mapped FreeNAS network drive from my Windows 10 Explorer .
At that previous time (see your post above), you weighing in on getting some help for me with my (and your?) issue was appreciated, so I thought I'd check in with you to see how far you got.
Since MS updated my W10 to version 20H02 I have been able to get a drive mapping connection, but the directories/folders/files on the FreeNAS share that I was attempting to get access to, during that original round when I was floundering with FreeNAS Shell commands and various SMB Share config options, Windows Explorer now reports as 'Empty'.
Perhaps my lack of understanding of things like 'precursive' and other FreeNAS Share attributes has disconnected those folders/files from view. I don't know. Fortunately I do have a separate copy of the files (music and photos, etc.) on an external USB drive.
To add to my puzzlement, my Plex Server (which runs on the FreeNAS Server) won't allow me to access the photos stored there. Plex shows the thumbnails on its Home Screen but, if I try to open any of them to my Windows Desktop, I get the message "Can't open that file".
Something's very weird and frustrating but I don't seem to be able to find any pointers that work. Any suggestions you might have in that regard would be most welcome.
Best regards and wishing that you and yours are safe and well.

Funnk

Cadet
Hello Neo,
Here I am 4 months later and still no joy in getting access to a fully functional mapped FreeNAS network drive from my Windows 10 Explorer .
At that previous time (see your post above), you weighing in on getting some help for me with my (and your?) issue was appreciated, so I thought I'd check in with you to see how far you got.
Since MS updated my W10 to version 20H02 I have been able to get a drive mapping connection, but the directories/folders/files on the FreeNAS share that I was attempting to get access to, during that original round when I was floundering with FreeNAS Shell commands and various SMB Share config options, Windows Explorer now reports as 'Empty'.
Perhaps my lack of understanding of things like 'precursive' and other FreeNAS Share attributes has disconnected those folders/files from view. I don't know. Fortunately I do have a separate copy of the files (music and photos, etc.) on an external USB drive.
To add to my puzzlement, my Plex Server (which runs on the FreeNAS Server) won't allow me to access the photos stored there. Plex shows the thumbnails on its Home Screen but, if I try to open any of them to my Windows Desktop, I get the message "Can't open that file".
Something's very weird and frustrating but I don't seem to be able to find any pointers that work. Any suggestions you might have in that regard would be most welcome.
Best regards and wishing that you and yours are safe and well.

Heya @geoffwhere
Any chance you've found a solution to this in the six months since this was live?
I'm encountering the same issues as you had

geoffwhere

Contributor
Heya @geoffwhere
Any chance you've found a solution to this in the six months since this was live?
I'm encountering the same issues as you had
Sorry for delayed response, for some obscure reason my desktop browser won't let me reply, so this is from my phone.
Yes, I solved the problem by ditching TrueNAS and going with Windows Server. Instant connection, stable and easy to manage.

Robert ikin

Cadet
Hello,
I'm running Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1 and my Truenas was doing everything I wanted up until this afternoon. I hadn't changed my root PW in years, so after getting some alert emails I changed it, both on Truenas and in my windows credentials. After a windows restart my Truenas mapped drive in windows became unavailable, I disconnected from windows and removed the credentials and tried to remap, now I'm getting an incorrect user or password error, the username and PW are correct as I can log in via putty and the GUI, all the config details in Truenas are as they where before the PW change, and they are really simple there's only one group and user with access via the windows share "media".
Below is the entry that is written in the samba/log.smbd on each attemp at remapping, the uid and gid are both nobody. Also attached is the results of the testparm -sv. I can't see anything out of place, any help is appreciated.

chdir_current_service: vfs_ChDir(/mnt/v1/media) failed: Permission denied. Cur rent token: uid=65534, gid=65534, 4 groups: 65534 90000001 90000002 546

[2021/10/18 17:17:22.562369, 0] ../../source3/smbd/service.c:183(chdir_current

Attachments

• testparm.pdf
    260.6 KB · Views: 316

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello,
I'm running Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1 and my Truenas was doing everything I wanted up until this afternoon. I hadn't changed my root PW in years, so after getting some alert emails I changed it, both on Truenas and in my windows credentials. After a windows restart my Truenas mapped drive in windows became unavailable, I disconnected from windows and removed the credentials and tried to remap, now I'm getting an incorrect user or password error, the username and PW are correct as I can log in via putty and the GUI, all the config details in Truenas are as they where before the PW change, and they are really simple there's only one group and user with access via the windows share "media".
Below is the entry that is written in the samba/log.smbd on each attemp at remapping, the uid and gid are both nobody. Also attached is the results of the testparm -sv. I can't see anything out of place, any help is appreciated.

chdir_current_service: vfs_ChDir(/mnt/v1/media) failed: Permission denied. Cur rent token: uid=65534, gid=65534, 4 groups: 65534 90000001 90000002 546

[2021/10/18 17:17:22.562369, 0] ../../source3/smbd/service.c:183(chdir_current
Based on the error message, it appears that your client is getting the guest account, which lacks access to the share. Perhaps turn off guest access to the share and restart the SMB server.

Robert ikin

Cadet
G'day,
Thanks anodos for your quick reply, I've unchecked the Allow guest access on the SMB share, it has stopped the reported failures in the log.smbd but I still cannot log onto truenas or map a drive from any Win 10 PC (3) I've tried both the hostname and the ip, I'm using "root" as the Username and the current PW , the error on the Windows client is "The specified network password is not correct". There are no entries in the log.smbd relating to my recent attempts, I can ping both from truenas to windows and back with no losses, I have no problems logging in to the GUI or via putty, I'm lost.
Just a thought the Windows 10 Home version won't allow remote access or drive mapping to other Windows PCs, could this cause problems with truenas SMB shares?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This behavior is by design. Root is no longer allowed to authenticate for SMB shares.

Robert ikin

Cadet
Thanks Sam,
I remember reading about that in some old release notes. Anyway I've got the windows PC's mapped to Truenas all seems ok.