SMB Shares don't work since update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimm Spector

Explorer
I've had some SMB shares working just fine, but I updated to U6 yesterday and suddenly my shares don't work. I cannot connect from other systems. It says "not supported" on a windows client when it attempts to connect and the log shows nothing, if I forcibly try to enter the URL \\servername\sharename I get a log message indicating there was a mount request for a nonexistent path (the sharename given there), and the log then says it denied the mount request. If I try to simply navigate to \\servername I get a listing of it's NFS shares, which of course windows doesn't want to connect to, though it used to and NFS client IS installed on the windows client. In these cases it looks like a possible permissions error, though permissions have not changed.

I'm really at a loss of how to fix this, and since everything on my network relies on accessing the share I really need it working. I'm open to any suggestions please!

Edit: Also apparently I'm on U6, sorry.

Last edited:
It might be related to SMBv1 being consigned to the dust bin "to old to be worth patching". A major bug was discovered with SMBv1 that resulted in it being deprecated and disabled by default under Windows 10. I remember this causing some issues for FreeNAS 11 users but I can't remember the details... I seam to remember it being an issue in the earlier versions of 11.1, so for all I know, it might not be an issue with u5. Until you get an answer from someone who remembers things a little more clearly, it might be worth seeing if changing the minimum SMB version from the FreeNAS WebGUI fixes the issues. It might also be worth double checking what version of SMB Windows is trying to use to establish a connection.

Grimm Spector

Explorer
It might be related to SMBv1 being consigned to the dust bin "to old to be worth patching". A major bug was discovered with SMBv1 that resulted in it being deprecated and disabled by default under Windows 10. I remember this causing some issues for FreeNAS 11 users but I can't remember the details... I seam to remember it being an issue in the earlier versions of 11.1, so for all I know, it might not be an issue with u5. Until you get an answer from someone who remembers things a little more clearly, it might be worth seeing if changing the minimum SMB version from the FreeNAS WebGUI fixes the issues. It might also be worth double checking what version of SMB Windows is trying to use to establish a connection.

I was using U4 before without any issues. I currently have a flag set to keep it limited to 2.02 due to Hyper-V storage issues. But it seems like both NFS and SMB shares are not working, so I'm not sure.

Also not sure how to tell what version windows is using, but the systems are not old, server 2k16 and win10 pro all fully updated.

Edit: Also apparently I'm on U6, sorry

Also I modified one of the systems to have SMB1 completely disabled, and even set the FreeNAS server to min protocol SMB2, but it changed nothing. When I use the previous (and currently according to the GUI) share name it the FreeNAS server claims it doesn't exist and denies the remote request.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.