SMB share not accessable from android device (works from PC)

jasonbuechler

Dabbler
If anyone is wondering why anyone else would want to enable archaic, insecure protocols, check out this blog post about the Kodi app/application and its use/nonuse of SMBv1 (aka NT1) ... for whatever reason, even the most recent release of Kodi on android still must use smb1, even while the same build works fine from windows. AKA: on my Amazon FireStick, where I don't have shell access to modify client confs, I am forced to use smb1. (More references for this confusing discontinuity here and here.)
I also want to point out that SMB1/NT1 is not the same thing as the "NTLMv1 Auth" checkbox!

Your server min protocol is still at SMB2. Add auxiliary parameter under services->smb server min protocol = NT1

I just wanted to point out to anyone landing here who might have scanned through real quick, and had an itchy trigger finger to jump straight to modifying their smb4.conf file... don't do that :) What anados is saying to do is to pull up the actual SMB service config page (services->smb), and copy/paste that line into the "Auxiliary Parameters" field. Which... is a field, despite the fact the new GUI seems to go to great lengths to disguise that fact. See screenshot below.

2018-12-18 09_24_13-FreeNAS-services-smb.png

Why not just edit your .conf? Apparently the "server min protocol" parameter is over-written when you click save on the services->smb page, which you might wanna use to edit your netbios name/workgroup/domain-logons/etc. I wouldn't have thought this was the case since there doesn't appear to be a "server min protocol" toggle on the page (yet!) ... so I don't know if it's a bug or a feature, but it did seem to be the case for me.

(And, again, I want to point out that SMB1/NT1 protocol is not the same thing as the "NTLMv1 Auth" checkbox!)

In 11.2-U1 we'll introduce a checkbox under services->SMB to enable SMB1 support so that this becomes an easier issue to workaround.

That would be awesome, and would help cutdown on confused cowboys such as myself, thanks!

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems

oliverjames

Cadet
I had this problem that I solved as follows:
With VLC running under Android, I used the menu (top left button to select) to select "Local Network". I then touched the "+" button at the bottom right of the screen. This enabled me to setup the samba share access by switching from FTP to SMB and then entering the Server address and the Folder path. No username was needed.

mm_half3

Dabbler
Thanks for adding the button to enable SMB v1.0. I have a few Liva Intel trail-bay based mini computers that are very finicky with playback of mythTV live television, all of the the newer Kodi OS's (libreElec, openelec, etc..) have extremely poor live TV playback with these devices, and I've only been able to get artifact free playback using OpenElec 6.03 or earlier...which requires SMB 1.0 for network shares, when its not enabled the shares respond back with "connection timeout".