SMB share not accessable from android device (works from PC)

Sokonomi

Contributor
I'm having a bit of a struggle setting up accessibility of my storage.

I have set up an SMB share that is perfectly accessible from my windows PC, yet all of my android devices seem to fail. They can see the NAS sitting on the network, but as soon as I attempt to access it, it throws a user/pass request at me. Ive tried root and the user assigned to the share, neither are letting me pass. To clarify, its not the share that's blocking it, I cant even get through the door to get to those.

Ive tried with both an older (icecream sandwich I think) android device and a current one. Through various videoplayers and file managers. All run into the same issue. Ive accessed SMB shares from windows computers through these devices before, so im sure they are capable of doing it.

Anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

jbekker

Cadet
I'm having the same issue, for me it started after upgrading to 11.2 beta 2. I'm thinking of doing a rollback to see if that helps.

//edit
Went back to 11.2 Beta 1 and I can access my shares again from Android.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I think a fix went in that raised the default server minimum protocol to SMB2. IIRC, some variants of jcifs don't support SMB2. Try setting the auxiliary parameter: "server min protocol = NT1" and services->SMB

Sokonomi

Contributor
I think a fix went in that raised the default server minimum protocol to SMB2. IIRC, some variants of jcifs don't support SMB2. Try setting the auxiliary parameter: "server min protocol = NT1" and services->SMB
Unfortunately this didn't fix it.

I remember a whole snafu about SMB1 being extremely vulnerable, and the win10 fall update phasing it out entirely, though shutting out android devices doesn't seem like the best of ideas.. Its odd though, I can still access a folder ive shared on my regular windows 10 box, so my android devices certainly are capable of dealing with it? o_O

Like @jbekker says, its got something to do with the BETA2 update. Last week while I still had it running in a VM, I could make it work without any weird hoops.

jbekker

Cadet
For me it's working again after setting 'server min protocol = NT1' and restarting the SMB service. I might move to NFS though..

Sokonomi

Contributor
I'm getting a ton of NTP failures as well, could that be related to it somehow?

kopox

Cadet
I have similar problems with Docker. I can access SMB-share from my Mac and PC, but not from Docker (Plex, Transmission etc..) Problem started when I upgraded to 11.2 beta 2. Any fix???

joshyz73

Cadet
I'm getting a ton of NTP failures as well, could that be related to it somehow?
I'm seeing the same issues. Right after I upgraded to 11.2 BETA2, I couldn't access SMB shares from my nVidia Shield TV, and I started getting the NTP errors. All worked fine on BETA1 and prior. I rolled back to BETA1, and the issues went away. I'm holding off on updating, because this breaks my main use for FreeNAS (running Emby and serving up media to Kodi on my Shield TV).

Sokonomi

Contributor
Anyone aware of a fix going in on BETA3?
Having to FTP into my NAS from older computers and android devices feels kinda hacky..

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Well, you can file a bug ticket or post a debug file. Right now I don't have anything to look through to try to fix. You can feel free to PM me a debug file. System->Advanced->Save Debug.

The NTP alert is annoying but can probably be ignored (or turned off).

kopox

Cadet
post output of "testparm -s"
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
Processing section "[media]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
deadtime = 15
disable spoolss = Yes
dns proxy = No
dos charset = CP437
hostname lookups = Yes
kernel change notify = No
lm announce = Yes
load printers = No
logging = file
map to guest = Bad User
max log size = 51200
max open files = 469928
nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
obey pam restrictions = Yes
panic action = /usr/local/libexec/samba/samba-backtrace
printcap name = /dev/null
security = USER
server min protocol = SMB2
server role = standalone server
server string = FreeNAS Server
time server = Yes
idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
idmap config * : backend = tdb
acl allow execute always = Yes
create mask = 0666
directory mask = 0777
directory name cache size = 0
dos filemode = Yes
ea support = Yes
store dos attributes = Yes
strict locking = No

[media]
guest ok = Yes
path = "/mnt/tank/media"
read only = No
veto files = /.snapshot/.windows/.mac/.zfs/
vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr
zfsacl:acesort = dontcare
nfs4:chown = true
nfs4:acedup = merge
nfs4:mode = special

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
Processing section "[media]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
deadtime = 15
disable spoolss = Yes
dns proxy = No
dos charset = CP437
hostname lookups = Yes
kernel change notify = No
lm announce = Yes
load printers = No
logging = file
map to guest = Bad User
max log size = 51200
max open files = 469928
nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
obey pam restrictions = Yes
panic action = /usr/local/libexec/samba/samba-backtrace
printcap name = /dev/null
security = USER
server min protocol = SMB2
server role = standalone server
server string = FreeNAS Server
time server = Yes
idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
idmap config * : backend = tdb
acl allow execute always = Yes
create mask = 0666
directory mask = 0777
directory name cache size = 0
dos filemode = Yes
ea support = Yes
store dos attributes = Yes
strict locking = No

[media]
guest ok = Yes
path = "/mnt/tank/media"
read only = No
veto files = /.snapshot/.windows/.mac/.zfs/
vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr
zfsacl:acesort = dontcare
nfs4:chown = true
nfs4:acedup = merge
nfs4:mode = special
Your server min protocol is still at SMB2. Add auxiliary parameter under services->smb server min protocol = NT1

charlyGREEN

Dabbler
Your server min protocol is still at SMB2. Add auxiliary parameter under services->smb server min protocol = NT1

Thanks a lot, I was looking for a solution for days to connect from my Fire Stick Kodi 17.6 (it used to work before, I'm now on 11.1 U6) I had tried other aux parameters (SMB1?) but they didn't work. Happy to be back! PS: Odd thing is I couldn't make NFS work either.. but maybe that was a permissions issue.

lordboogie

Cadet
I’m having the same issue connecting to SMB shares on my domain joined instance of freenas 11.1-u6. I tried connecting from iOS apps FileBrowser and file explorer they both fail username/password.

No matter which format I put in domain\user or user@domain. I tried with smb min to nt1 and nothing works. Works fine from my domain joined and non domain joined Macs and PCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk