SMB Share no longer accessible

finsfree

Dabbler
Hello,

I'm using FreeNAS 11.1 on a Dell PowerEdge 840 (Xeon CPU, 8GB memory & SCSI HDD). At the first initial setup everything worked fine (SMB share & ISCSI), but for some reason the SMB share not accessible from a Windows 10 machine anymore. The ISCSI block works perfectly!

I can access the SMB share from an Android device.

Why, am I all of a sudden, not able to access the SMB share from my Windows 10 machine? I have restarted both FreeNAS and Windows 10. I can log into the FreeNAS web interface from the Windows 10 machine.

Nick2253

Wizard
If you can access the SMB share from an Android device, I wouldn't describe the share as "no longer accessible". Most likely, there is some issue with Windows 10.

What does "SMB share not accessible from a Windows 10 machine any more" mean, exactly? Are you getting an error message? Is it timing out? If you try to access the share with \\<ip address> does it work?

finsfree

Dabbler
If you can access the SMB share from an Android device, I wouldn't describe the share as "no longer accessible". Most likely, there is some issue with Windows 10.

What does "SMB share not accessible from a Windows 10 machine any more" mean, exactly? Are you getting an error message? Is it timing out? If you try to access the share with \\<IP address> does it work?

The error message I am receiving is "Windows cannot access \\10.50.0.239\smb_01". Error code: 0x80004005

I never changed any settings on the share.

Nick2253

Wizard
Can you try mounting the share as a mapped drive?

finsfree

Dabbler
After trying to add it as a mapped drive, I received this error message,"You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network."

finsfree

Dabbler
Update:

After creating a password for my user I can connect. I checked the box "login with different credentials".

This there a setting in the share where I DON"T have to have a password to connect? I would like it be open access to anybody.

finsfree

Dabbler
I tried accessing the same SMB from another PC and I can't just navigate to it from the Windows file explorer.

I have to add it as a mapped drive and check "Connect using different credentials" or use the "net use" command with "/user:username password" switch.

Why can't I just navigate to this SMB share without a password.

One thing to mention, I am on a domain.

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
"You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network."
Why can't I just navigate to this SMB share without a password.
You'll need to configure your system/domain to allow these connections.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-server-2016

In the future, please search. The above result was the first Google hit for your error message.

Baguette

Cadet
You'll need to configure your system/domain to allow these connections.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-server-2016

In the future, please search. The above result was the first Google hit for your error message.

Hi, I am having almost the exact opposite issue to the guy above. I can connect to guest shares on windows no problem, I can also connect to credentialled shares using any devices other than windows 10. If I secure a dataset with user credentials, I get almost word for word the errors the guy above has. I am the opposite in that I cannot have open shares on my network, as I need to restrict access to certain information per user.

does anyone have an ideas?