Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

SMB (CIFS) Slow Directory Navigation, all file copies stuck at "Calculating"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalvinnohobbes

Neophyte
First I will say my home setup is a bit overkill but mostly i use it as a lab which is why i have some of these machines/services. I had my freenas box up and running perfectly, or at least for a newbie it was. My domain controller recently had a hardware failure and bombed out which happened during a backup which corrupted that disk as well making it so I had to rebuilt my domain from scratch. After doing this I have notices horrible performance with my SMB shares with every and all pc's (server, laptop, and desktop). I am curious if this maybe has something to do with joining my freenas to a new domain which maybe left some old permissions causing issues but need some assistance from the community. hardware specs below

FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G3920 @ 2.90GHz
16225MB
7x 3tb 7200RPM drives
1 ZFS2 pool
10gbSFP+ DAC connecting NAS to Server

I can open my share fine, no or little slowness but once i navigate the share 1 or 2 folders deep it starts to take upwards of a minute to open a folder. I am also unable to copy anything to or from my SMB as windows just shows "calculating" forever until i give up and just cancel the action.

I know it is not a problem with my hardware, zpool status comes back clean and scrubs are run weekly so i think i would know if it was disk issues. Prior to the new domain controller i was having absolutely no issues whatsoever so that has me leaning to stale permissions or settings somewhere. wbinfo -t / -u / - g all come back current and look good. I saw some posts about adding the below to my SMB setting but have seen no change or improvement once i did, this was for v9 so didnt have much hope but thought i'd try anyway.

ea support = no
store dos attributes = no
map archive = no
map hidden = no
map readonly = no
map system = no

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Sir, can I ask, do the directories you're having trouble opening and/or copying from, do they contain an obscene amount of files? If so, this may hearken back to an interesting bug/issue we discussed at vBSDCon.

kalvinnohobbes

Neophyte
I do not know what would be considered obscene but my thoughts are they are not. This i have about 5tb of data with approx 50% of that being for my Plex media library. If I had to guess I would think I have somewhere in the range of 50-75k files in total on this share.

Status
Not open for further replies.