SMB and FreeNAS Dashboard Showing incorrect size

David Henrickson

Explorer
Hello,

I have FreeNAS 11.3u4 and I was hoping this latest update was going to fix this issue. Anyway, I have two pools. I have filled on well above the 80% mark and so I added another and started moving my videos over to the new pool. The issue is I have completely removed the videos, but the size of "used" does not change. I can add videos and the size changes commensurately. However, the removal of data does not allow the "used" portion to change in Windows Explorer OR ON THE FREENAS DASHBOARD itself. Yes, I do have snapshots, but as far as I know those should disappear after 2 months or whatever I have it set to. This size hasn't changed in MONTHS. Am I missing something? I KNOW I have a lot of space now on this drive, but it shows I have 4GB left of 13TB. Clearly....not a lot of space left. I know I have deleted or "removed" at least 4TB of data from this drive. Suggestions? Ideas? I have read about a Recycle Bin, but since FreeNAS doesn't necessarily make that readily available to "delete" could the data still be in there? This would not make any sense on FreeNAS engineering to have a recycle bin that never deletes and causes the pool to never shrink. So, I need some help if anyone has any knowledge of the pain I'm going through. I would greatly appreciate it. I have noticed this happening to the new pool as well, so this isn't pool specific. I would love your help.
Thank you!

DJ

David Henrickson

Explorer
No one has an idea on this? If FreeNAS is not correctly monitoring the HDD size and is then transferring this incorrect data to Windows via SMB, too, I would assume a lot more people are having this issue. Or am I the only one saying it because it is close to fully maxing the pool out and no one else gets that close to care? Haha

pschatz100

Guru
I have never had such a problem, so I am not well equipped to comment. When you say you are removing data, what exactly are you doing?

Are you referring to the Dell T610 system in your signature? If yes, have the the LSI 9811 boards been flashed to IT mode? I did some internet searches and couldn't find any information about LSI 9811-8i controllers.

David Henrickson

Explorer
I have never had such a problem, so I am not well equipped to comment. When you say you are removing data, what exactly are you doing?

Are you referring to the Dell T610 system in your signature? If yes, have the the LSI 9811 boards been flashed to IT mode? I did some internet searches and couldn't find any information about LSI 9811-8i controllers.
Hello Pscatz100! I am transferring movies from one pool to another pool. Completely separate pool. I have the Dell T610, yes, but I have the LSI card flashed to IT like we are supposed to and its updated to P20. The controller must have been a typo. It should say the 9211-8i controllers. I'll update that. Thank you for pointing that out.
Its like taking data (removing it) from one pool to another. It doesn't show on that original pool anymore, but the space allocated NEVER CHANGES. It is rather frustrating. So, now my FreeNAS pool says its 98% full and I know darn well it isn't. I removed all of my 720p and 480p videos off of it when it was at 86% full. That was like 30% of the drives capacity, YET the pool GREW to the now 98% it states. I know it is wrong, but no matter what update FreeNAS has, it still doesn't change the pool size to show correctly.

pschatz100

Guru
OK. So you are copying data from one pool to another pool, then deleting the original data? Exactly what commands are you using?

If you run "du -hs" on your pool from the Shell, it will give you a summary of the space taken by data in the pool. Does the value match what the GUI tells you is allocated?

David Henrickson

Explorer
Well...I wasn't sure how to Shell into the pool. I googled that and still couldn't find anything. With that said, I did zfs get all HenricksonMedia and it came up with this.

Code:

root@FreeNAS[~]# zfs get all HenricksonMedia
NAME             PROPERTY              VALUE                  SOURCE
HenricksonMedia  type                  filesystem             -
HenricksonMedia  creation              Sat Mar 30 18:09 2019  -
HenricksonMedia  used                  13.6T                  -
HenricksonMedia  available             4.10G                  -
HenricksonMedia  referenced            2.71M                  -
HenricksonMedia  compressratio         1.00x                  -
HenricksonMedia  mounted               yes                    -
HenricksonMedia  quota                 none                   default
HenricksonMedia  reservation           none                   default
HenricksonMedia  recordsize            128K                   default
HenricksonMedia  mountpoint            /mnt/HenricksonMedia   default
HenricksonMedia  sharenfs              off                    default
HenricksonMedia  checksum              on                     default
HenricksonMedia  compression           lz4                    local
HenricksonMedia  atime                 on                     default
HenricksonMedia  devices               on                     default
HenricksonMedia  exec                  on                     default
HenricksonMedia  setuid                on                     default
HenricksonMedia  readonly              off                    default
HenricksonMedia  jailed                off                    default
HenricksonMedia  snapdir               hidden                 default
HenricksonMedia  aclmode               restricted             local
HenricksonMedia  aclinherit            passthrough            local
HenricksonMedia  createtxg             1                      -
HenricksonMedia  canmount              on                     default
HenricksonMedia  xattr                 off                    temporary
HenricksonMedia  copies                1                      default
HenricksonMedia  version               5                      -
HenricksonMedia  utf8only              off                    -
HenricksonMedia  normalization         none                   -
HenricksonMedia  casesensitivity       sensitive              -
HenricksonMedia  vscan                 off                    default
HenricksonMedia  nbmand                off                    default
HenricksonMedia  sharesmb              off                    default
HenricksonMedia  refquota              none                   default
HenricksonMedia  refreservation        none                   default
HenricksonMedia  guid                  15070253879735019197   -
HenricksonMedia  primarycache          all                    default
HenricksonMedia  secondarycache        all                    default
HenricksonMedia  usedbysnapshots       0                      -
HenricksonMedia  usedbydataset         2.71M                  -
HenricksonMedia  usedbychildren        13.6T                  -
HenricksonMedia  usedbyrefreservation  0                      -
HenricksonMedia  logbias               latency                default
HenricksonMedia  dedup                 off                    default
HenricksonMedia  mlslabel                                     -
HenricksonMedia  sync                  standard               default
HenricksonMedia  refcompressratio      1.12x                  -
HenricksonMedia  written               2.71M                  -
HenricksonMedia  logicalused           12.4T                  -
HenricksonMedia  logicalreferenced     2.86M                  -
HenricksonMedia

I should have only used 10.4TB of data. This is what windows states it has in the folders and according to my calcs should be accurate.[/code][/code]

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru
OK. So you are copying data from one pool to another pool, then deleting the original data? Exactly what commands are you using?
Well, you still haven't given the information I asked for, so at this point I don't know what else to suggest. I have not had a problem like what you describe, nor do I remember anyone posting anything similar so I suspect the problem is related to whatever you are doing or the way your data is set up.

Perhaps you have some directories under /mnt/HenricksonMedia that are not mapped to Samba. If that were the case, they would not show up when you connect via Windows File manager. I don't know what else to suggest. Perhaps someone else will have some ideas.

Good luck.

David Henrickson

Explorer
I told you I didn't know how to shell into the storage pool in the previous post. That is why you did not get "what you asked for." Du -hs doesn't mean anything to me. I can open the shell, but after that Du -hs doesn't do anything. Obviously there is more to that command, so I did some more digging. That is why I said I didn't know how to do that. Triggering a more detailed explanation of how to do that. There is another instance on FreeNAS forum that a few gentlemen had this happen to them before. The link is below. They sate snapshots are the case, but I have updated my OS to include the "patch" that is supposed to fix this. I sent the prior breakout of what I got from the shell to show that the snapshots show no space at all; however, there is one for that pool.

Code:
root@FreeNAS[~]# du -hs /mnt/HenricksonMedia
 12T        mnt/HenricksonMedia

I ran a different code to now show all of that using du -h /mnt/HenricksonMedia and this came up
Code:
root@FreeNAS[~]# du -h /mnt/HenricksonMedia
2.5M    /mnt/HenricksonMedia/Voice Memos
171G    /mnt/HenricksonMedia/Movies/DVD 480p
125G    /mnt/HenricksonMedia/Movies/BluRay 720p
620G    /mnt/HenricksonMedia/Movies/BluRay Ultra HD 4k
 11T    /mnt/HenricksonMedia/Movies/BluRay 1080p
 55G    /mnt/HenricksonMedia/Movies/Less Than Ideal
 12T    /mnt/HenricksonMedia
root@FreeNAS[~]#

There was one more a little more recent that I was reading last night; however, I did not save it and of course that would be helpful about now.

Thank you!

DJ