Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

SMART Service Fails after 11.3 Upgrade

So far the only issue I'm running into is the SMART service is not starting. I am still a little new to FreeNAS and FreeBSD in general (Linux and Windows guy here) so not sure where all the different logs would be at to see why the service is failing. Otherwise, my jails and VMs are working as expected and the VMware iSCSI integration is all good to go.

Basil Hendroff

FreeNAS Experienced
Are you using USB sticks for boot devices? If you are, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the SMART service will not start if SMART is enabled for these devices. To check what SMART is enabled on, under Storage > Disks, expose the Enabled SMART column. You can disable SMART for specific devices.

So I do have a USB thumbdrive as the boot device, and it did have SMART enabled. I disabled it, but still couldn't start the service.

Basil Hendroff

FreeNAS Experienced
As a first step to troubleshooting this, try disabling SMART for all devices under Storage > Disks and then see if you can start the service. If it does, progressively enable SMART for each device, restarting the service in between, until you find the errant device.