SMART Error followed by boot failure

SilentFox

Dabbler
Configuration: SanDisk SSD Plus in WD Sled, connected via ODD port on motherboard with SATA Controller in legacy mode, fresh FreeNAS 11.0 install, no config changes.
Results: FAIL - Boot volume degraded following scrub.

Configuration: SanDisk SSD Plus NOT in WD Sled, connected via ODD port on motherboard with SATA Controller in legacy mode, fresh FreeNAS 11.0 install, no config changes.
Results: FAIL - Boot volume degraded following scrub.

Configuration: Old OCZ Vertex 2 SSD NOT in WD Sled, connected via ODD port on motherboard with SATA Controller in legacy mode, fresh FreeNAS 11.0 install, no config changes.
Results: PASSED - Boot volume reported as healthy following scrub.

Configuration: Old OCZ Vertex 2 SSD in WD Sled, connected via Bay 1 with SATA Controller in AHCI mode, existing FreeNAS 11.0 install, no config changes.
Results: PASSED - Boot volume reported as healthy following scrub.

Configuration: Old OCZ Vertex 2 SSD in WD Sled, connected via Bay 1 with SATA Controller in AHCI mode, existing FreeNAS 11.0 install, config restored and data drives installed.
Results: Pending... (Two scrubs passed, waiting a few days to try another)

Current conclusion: Technical/ compatibility issue with SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB and my configuration.

Last edited:

SilentFox

Dabbler
A further scrub of the Boot volume has passed without an issue. It appears that the SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB, despite showing no errors in GSmartControl, is not compatible with the rest of my system configuration.

SilentFox

Dabbler
Connect the USB drive.
At a command prompt type: zpool import freenas-boot old-boot
What that does is rename freenas-boot to old-boot when it is imported.
If the freenas-boot pool was not cleanly exported, you will have to use the command like this instead:
zpool import -f freenas-boot old-boot and that -f means force.
At this point, there will be a 'folder' named /old-boot at the root of the filesystem which should contain all the contents of the old boot pool.

I hope that works for you.

I've tried using this command and although the pool has been renamed, I cannot see the folder named old-boot at the root of the file system. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Having reviewed the FreeBSD guide to zfs commands, I also tried zpool import -o altroot=/mnt/old-boot old-boot
This works, and the output of zfs list is as follows. However, I nevertheless cannot see the drive mounted. Running ls while in /mnt only shows md_size and the main ZFS data pool.
Any ideas? I'm sure it's simple but I've tried various things and am now a little stuck!

Code:
freenas-boot												 1.10G  52.7G   176K  none
freenas-boot/ROOT											1.09G  52.7G   136K  none
freenas-boot/ROOT/Initial-Install							   8K  52.7G  1.08G  legacy
freenas-boot/ROOT/default									1.09G  52.7G  1.08G  legacy
freenas-boot/grub											7.80M  52.7G  7.80M  legacy
old-boot													 3.69G  25.1G	64K  none
old-boot/ROOT												3.67G  25.1G	29K  none
old-boot/ROOT/11.0-U2										 164K  25.1G   737M  /mnt/old-boot
old-boot/ROOT/11.0-U3										 432K  25.1G   726M  /mnt/old-boot
old-boot/ROOT/11.0-U4										 175K  25.1G   728M  /mnt/old-boot
old-boot/ROOT/11.1-RELEASE								   3.66G  25.1G   825M  /mnt/old-boot