Slow read-speed compared to adequate write speed

Morehatz

Dabbler
Now, I wasn't able to conveniently borrow a test-system and I'm not willing to upgrade from my win-7 (yet), also I can't find the time to mess with a dualboot/usb boot linux at the time.
I really want to get that system going though and since it seems to be my client creating the issues, there speaks nothing against setting up the NAS and not having to change anything major on the road, yes?

Also, 12-wide is probably not what you want if you're aiming for performance
Maybe someone has a recommendation for what I want to / should use?

[I have 13 times 8TB WD-Red disks, it's gonna be a bulk-storage solution with a max of 3 clients hitting it with minor load]

ChrisReeve

Explorer
I have the same issues you are describing. Stream writes to the server sees me saturating my 10GbE (around 800-900 MB/s) for stream writes (50GB test files from NVMe SSD onwindows 10 1909 desktop with an Asus C100C 10GbE NIC to the server). But reads from my pool are stable at around 350MB/s. Should be higher than this.

It is not a network thing, because when I transfer the same 30 GB file several times from my server to mye desktop, the first transfer is around 350MB/s, but the next transfers increase to 800-900MB/s, assuming this is because the file gets cached in memory. But for «cold» files, the speeds are always around 300-400MB/s.

Does anyone know why?

Server specs:
E5 2650 v2
X9SRL-F
64GB 1600MHz ECC RAM
2x 9211-8i HBAs running 10x10TB WD REDs, in one large ZFS2 pool, compression on, encryption on
Intel DC P3700 for SLOG (20GB) and 256GB L2ARC