Slow performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenixgg

Dabbler
I am concerned about my FreeNAS machines performance. If I am busy streaming media, even non HD and I start browsing my Freenas box at the same time, the media will freeze and windows explorer takes forever to load a list of all the files in the directory I am browsing. Is there a way to index my Freenas box or have I set it up incorrectly? Any advice on smoothing the performance will be appreciated.

Stephens

Patron
CIFS is single threaded and there are QOS issues inherent in what your situation. Sending a file listing is a "use all resources" type of task, so it will use all available CPU, RAM, and bandwidth to blast the list to you (though without tuning, it's hardly a blast for many). If you're streaming data, then ask the NAS to send you a file listing, it doesn't automatically decide to blast the file listing minus the resources you need for streaming.

http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...e-thread-limitation-(maxing-out-one-cpu-core)

I haven't tried it, but I'd be curious to see if you experience the stuttering if you stream a HD movie, then use FTP to browse your NAS.

Phoenixgg

Dabbler
I can stream full HD quite easily and I have no problems at all. I will have a look at using a file listing tonight and update if I get any improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.