SOLVED single thread samba copy slowish

shewless

Dabbler
Hi,
I have the latest stable FreeNAS with a raidz2 pool of SSD on a gigabit network. I have tested the local transfer speeds and they are fast.

I noticed when I am copying files (or a large file) from FreeNAS to my desktop I get about 66MB/s of total read from FreeNAS
If I startup another concurrent copy from FreeNAS to the same desktop I get about 88MB/s of total read from FreeNAS.

I'm curious how this behavior can be explained. Is there a samba config I can tweak? When I look at the CPU of my FreeNAS when I'm reading these files it looks almost idle... Perhaps this is a network driver issue? FreeNAS has the Intel Pro Gigabit network card but my desktop has some Marvell card in it.

Any hints/thoughts would be appreciated. I plan on trying out some 10Gbps cards at some point but I don't have that hardware yet.

Thank you in advance.

shewless

Dabbler
In summary I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to make my "single" file transfer hit 88MB/s instead of needing to transfer two files in parallel to hit that speed. Is there a samba configuration I could try?

shewless

Dabbler
I tried adding aio max threads = 10 to the aux parameters (and restarting smb) but it didn't seem to have any impact on read speed.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Out of the box samba easily does 1gbps reads and writes. Your problem it's probably your client, network or nic hardware.

shewless

Dabbler
My problem is fixed. I wanted to update this thread in case someone else runs into similar issues.

Problem #1:
My client machine is ubuntu and when browsing to the samba share using the file manager and copying files it is slow (66MB/s.. if I copy two files up to 88MB/s).
Solution to problem #1:
mount -t cifs .. with default options. When I copy files from a mounted samba share (vs the file manager browse) I can hit 88MB/s

Problem #2:
88MB/s is not great on a gigabit link(should be approaching 125MB/s).
I ran iperf3 and noticed that indeed 88MB/s (or close) is as high as it would go.. so network issue NOT samba issue. I tried from a few different servers and isolated the problem to the NIC/network in my FreeNAS server.

Solution to problem #2
Replaced NIC with an Intel Pro 1000 PT pcie.

I can now get approx 112MB/s
I'll take it.

Thanks again for the confirmation that FreeNAS/samba should do 1gbps without any tweaks.

peckservers

Cadet
My problem is fixed. I wanted to update this thread in case someone else runs into similar issues.

Problem #1:
My client machine is ubuntu and when browsing to the samba share using the file manager and copying files it is slow (66MB/s.. if I copy two files up to 88MB/s).
Solution to problem #1:
mount -t cifs .. with default options. When I copy files from a mounted samba share (vs the file manager browse) I can hit 88MB/s

Problem #2:
88MB/s is not great on a gigabit link(should be approaching 125MB/s).
I ran iperf3 and noticed that indeed 88MB/s (or close) is as high as it would go.. so network issue NOT samba issue. I tried from a few different servers and isolated the problem to the NIC/network in my FreeNAS server.

Solution to problem #2
Replaced NIC with an Intel Pro 1000 PT pcie.

I can now get approx 112MB/s
I'll take it.

Thanks again for the confirmation that FreeNAS/samba should do 1gbps without any tweaks.
Made an account just to say this fixed my issue too!

My setup is a proxmox vm running truenas core, having a lsi sas card, with a 8-16 lsi splitter card, 12 ssds, 4 hdds. Along with that vm, I gave it an intel e1000 since it was the default, but upon giving it a virtio adapter speeds were perfect!

I must thank you for this resolution, this has been annoying the ever loving hell out of me for quite awhile now!