Should I create iocage jails in 11.1 and convert my warden jails before upgrade to 11.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

par

Explorer
I'm assuming I won't be able to run warden jails if I update to 11.2. If I use the command line to create iocage jails in 11.1 and then migrate everything over, is this the best way to go? Will I run into any problems after the upgrade to 11.2 if I do this?

D

dlavigne

If you want them to appear in the UI, recreate them using the UI in 11.2. Remember you can always reboot into 11.1 if you need to.

Reactions: par

diskdiddler

Wizard
Warden jails continue to work in 11.2 BETA1 at least. I don't know if they are 100% disabling them in the final, I suspect they won't actually,
You just won't be able to create more. Mine are fine though.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you want them to appear in the UI, recreate them using the UI in 11.2.
iocage jails created at the command line appear in the GUI in 11.2-BETA1, at least--is this behavior going to change with the release version?

Alecmascot

Guru
I'm assuming I won't be able to run warden jails if I update to 11.2. If I use the command line to create iocage jails in 11.1 and then migrate everything over, is this the best way to go? Will I run into any problems after the upgrade to 11.2 if I do this?

Allegedly, when 11.2 is finally released, which is some way off yet, there will be a migration script to move warden jails to iocage jails.
I am going to wait until 11.2 is established before I move anything.
If you have issues that 11.2 fixes I guess you might want to move earlier.
Yes you can run warden jails with 11.2 but you will have to use the legacy ui to manage them.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Appreciate that update.

I started re-creating from scratch just to have a place. Not so good, sickrage won't update for me under iocage, even with the tunables networking fix for iocage.

adrianwi

Guru
I think I must have been lucky! Both iocage and iohyve have been working well for me since upgrading to 11.1-U4.

I rebuilt almost all of my warden jails from 9.10 or earlier when I upgraded to 11.1-U4 and they have all been working perfectly since. I still have 2 warden jails (one running a FEMP stack and one running openVPN) that I was going to attempt to convert, as I wouldn't be too bothered to lose the FEMP one and I couldn't get openVPN running using iocage. I suspect I'll need to recreate the openVPN one using iocage once the networking issues have been worked out.

par

Explorer
If I create iocage jails in the FreeNAS 11.1-U5 beta UI they will be based off of FreeBSD 11.1 correct? I see that the plugins in 11.2 were updated to use FreeBSD 11.2 after the beta came out. Will it be possible to update an iocage jail from FreeBSD 11.1 to 11.2? I'm under the impression that the "Update" button provided in the new UI only upgrades the packages and not the whole system behind it.

Should I just wait until 11.2-release before I mess with iocage jails? I can use the command line but I don't want to wind up with some old version iocage jail that doesn't work once I update from 11.1-U5 to 11.2. I don't think I'm going to use a migration script because everything is going to be configured differently anyway.

Furthermore what is the best way to use datasets with iocage jails? Separate mounts for configs and media? Should each iocage jail operate under its own specific user like "plex" and then media owner in the same group as plex? Would that be wheel? I can't even remember how I configured media permissions originally, I think everything is owned by the Samba share user. Is there a more intelligent way to handle both permissions and datasets so that I can have a bunch of different iocage jails and also samba shares that all play nicely together?

Any insight into any of this would be helpful thank you. Are iocage jails all based off of a single instance of an operating system or do they all have their own set of system files like the warden jails do? I'm confused as to how this works, or if it even works at all in 11.1-U5.

par

Explorer
I get this when trying to start an iocage jail installed with 11.2-RELEASE from the 11.1 console.
  • [root@freenas ~]# iocage start examplejail

Host: 11.1 is not greater than jail: 11.2
    This is unsupported.
I cannot find any information about if it will be possible to update an iocage jail from 11.1 to 11.2, so I will wait a few days for 11.2-BETA2 and do it all through the new UI rather than the console in 11.1.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I get this when trying to start an iocage jail installed with 11.2-RELEASE from the 11.1 console.
  • [root@freenas ~]# iocage start examplejail

Host: 11.1 is not greater than jail: 11.2
    This is unsupported.
I cannot find any information about if it will be possible to update an iocage jail from 11.1 to 11.2, so I will wait a few days for 11.2-BETA2 and do it all through the new UI rather than the console in 11.1.

This is being fixed I believe. 11.2 BETA2 would have it under control.

adrianwi

Guru
The main benefit of iocage is the ability to upgrade the version of FreeBSD inside the jail, something that wasn't possible with Warden.

Until FreeNAS is updated and running FreeBSD 11.2 there's no real need to test this out though

jclendineng

Explorer
Latest nightly, well about 3-4 days ago, the base got updated to 11.2, needs testers though. Have a new server in the works so when thats finished I will be testing it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.