Sharing issue - permissions?

RichTJ99

Patron
Hi,

I am having a problem. I want to do the following:

user rich, group rich
user megan, group megan

VMtest - main dataset - no sharing in this dataset

Dataset - company - megan owner, rich is the group (which should give rich user access) - no other read/write access from anyone else on the network

Dataset - Richonly - rich owner, rich is the group (Only rich has access) - no other read/write access from anyone else on the network

However it doesnt work. I suspect because vmtest (main dataset) has default permissions of root/wheel. When I get rid of "other" read/execute (defaults) I am no longer able to log into either share on the network.

I am using CIFS to access these directories.

VM share.JPG

FYI - this is a VM test as it is also not working on my production server.

RichTJ99

Patron
So with further testing...
VMfreenas is a test unit, I can go into the windows permissions for the folder & change whatever I want - it saves & works great. I run tests with the two users & it works just like i want it to work.

However, my production server - nas - when I goto the windows permissions I get some sort of weird number combination. When I do a search on the properties of the folder through this same window, it finds nas/richtj99, it will not save those changes. Its like the numbers arent resolving to rich or megan as they do on the vmfreenas test vm.

Any idea what would be causing this? Should I backup the entire pool & start over again?

Attachments

• permissions.JPG
    permissions.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 227

ymejia

Cadet
Good Morning I am new to FreeNAS I am having the issue that I created a folder and am able to see it on windows but when I try to access the folder am prompted to input username and password and which I provided and keeps rejecting it any word on this.