Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

SFP+ Moduls needed

Thanks
Hey there,

I just got a Chelsio-T520-CR network card for next to nothing. I'd like to connect to our EdgeSwitch 48x ES-48-750W.

But I have no idea which SFP+ Moduls I need to get this working.

Could anybody please point me in the right direction? There seem to be hundreds of these modules, and I can't tell which ones I need.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Toby

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks
Use the modules recommended by the manufacturer. They're usually cheap on eBay.

danb35

FreeNAS Wizard
Thanks
...or you can buy them new from fs.com for ~$16 each.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Thanks
For short distances, a twinax DAC May Suffixe also. I’ve used my generic one with an mikrotik switch on one end and either a Chelsea 520 or intel branded SFP+ port on the other.

That said, going with “branded” optics is certainly the safest option. Just be sure they’re all on the same page re: wavelength, fiber type, connector, etc.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks
The main problem with twinax is that it's not guaranteed to work in a mixed vendor environment. Fiber is supposed to work all the time (and 99.9% of the time does).

Thanks
If it was a stupid question, I wouldn't have felt it necessary to write our 10Gig Networking Primer.

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/10-gig-networking-primer.42/

There's lots of new territory to cover if you haven't dealt with anything but copper.
oh wow!!! I finally got around to dip my toes in. Very interesting read. A lot of effort went into this. Thank you very much!

I found some used ones on ebay and got the cables on fs.com.

Thanks to every one for the input.