Setting up FreeNAS 9.2.0 with Transmission and Couchpotato as a DLNA-Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estropelic

Contributor
Totally different thread discussion and I'm new to this as well. I'd rather put the money into hardware and do the VPN on the jails where it needs it.

Rodrigo Vasquez

Dabbler
zufallsheld, Hi there!!
I have Q.
while I'm downloading several torrents, some of them stopped at 99,9%, and have an error msg "Pease Verify Local Data! Piece #xxxx is corrupt" (this info is delivered by transgui)

If I open Tansmission, tells me "Error: Please Verify Local Data! Piece #xxxx is corrupt."

Both (couchPotato and sickrage) are working just fine.

Do you know about this issue?

Best regards,

This from transmission:
Captura de pantalla 2016-04-23 a las 18.41.06.png

this one from transgui:
Captura de pantalla 2016-04-23 a las 18.41.20.png

zufallsheld

Explorer
zufallsheld, Hi there!!
I have Q.
while I'm downloading several torrents, some of them stopped at 99,9%, and have an error msg "Pease Verify Local Data! Piece #xxxx is corrupt" (this info is delivered by transgui)

If I open Tansmission, tells me "Error: Please Verify Local Data! Piece #xxxx is corrupt."

Both (couchPotato and sickrage) are working just fine.

Do you know about this issue?

/QUOTE]

Are the movies downloaded and in couchpotato?

die4it

Cadet
Hello zufallsheld,

I followed your guide and tried setting everything up however I had an error of my files dissapearing on me from the downloads folder and ending up no where they where just completely gone. Then I started all over and now I just can't seem to get the downloads directory of transmission setup corect.

What I did so far is, turn the transmission service and jail off through the freenas gui. give the 777 permission to the downloads directory. checked if everything went alright with "ls -l"
after checking everything seems fine. turn on the jail check the permission again and it will say 775. when I turn on the service and try to download anything it will give me an error saying that the /media/downloads directory permissions are incorrect.

I tried finding the settings.json but the transmission_1/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home directory is empty and doesn't hold a file like this.
I didn't see any mention of it either in the guide anymore so I'm guessing something changed there.

I hope that you or anybody else is able to help me get this running

zufallsheld

Explorer
after checking everything seems fine. turn on the jail check the permission again and it will say 775. when I turn on the service and try to download anything it will give me an error saying that the /media/downloads directory permissions are incorrect.
See this picture:
https://www.zufallsheld.de/images/freenas_transmission_settings.png
You have to set the permissions via the GUI in Freenas.

I tried finding the settings.json but the transmission_1/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home directory is empty and doesn't hold a file like this.
I didn't see any mention of it either in the guide anymore so I'm guessing something changed there.
Yes this does not exist anymore.

die4it

Cadet
See this picture:
https://www.zufallsheld.de/images/freenas_transmission_settings.png
You have to set the permissions via the GUI in Freenas.

Yea I did that but it didn't matter, also when I set the permissions of the jails to full they wouldn't start anymore so that was a problem I previously encoutered causing me to start all over.
What I ended up doing to fix the permission problem was navigate to the NAS on my pc, go to the Downloads, Movies, Series directories.
went to properties of each directory and set the permissions there to full after doing so everything worked. Might be just a weird bug on my end I'm not sure why it didn't work but after setting those permissions again this way it all worked.

bafplus

Cadet
Great guide! Helped me out.
i have one addition.
You mention to change all the rights to nobody/nobody.
every plugin inside the jails use its own user, Transmission uses user "transmission" and so on.
However, those users are not present in the userlist of Freenas by default so those users don't have any rights outside of there jail.
To solve this you can add those user, or better said, userID's, to the userlist of freenas.
In the left menu open "add user" and fill in the corresponding userID's for the plugin(s) you are using, use the list below:

• SERVICE - USER (UID) - DATA-DIRECTORY
  • transmission - transmission (921) - /var/db/transmission
  • sabnzbd - media (816) - /var/db/sabnzbd
  • sickbeard - media (816) - /var/db/sickbeard
  • sickrage - media (816) - /var/db/sickrage
  • sonarr - media (816) - /var/db/sonarr
  • couchpotato - media (816) - /var/db/couchpotato
  • headphones - media (816) - /var/db/headphones
  • mylar - media (816) - /var/db/mylar
  • xdm - media (816) - /var/db/xdm
  • maraschino - media (816) - /var/db/maraschino
  • htpc-manager - media (816) - /var/db/htpc-manager
  • plexmediaserver - plex (972) - /var/db/plexdata
  • emby-server - emby (983) - /var/db/emby-server
  • subsonic - media (816) - /var/db/subsonic
  • btsync - btsync (817) - /var/db/btsync
  • syncthing - syncthing (983) - /var/db/syncthing

So if you use all the above plugins you have to add 4 users, user "816", "972", "983" and "817".
Choose the group "wheels".

zufallsheld

Explorer
Great guide! Helped me out.
i have one addition.
You mention to change all the rights to nobody/nobody.
every plugin inside the jails use its own user, Transmission uses user "transmission" and so on.
However, those users are not present in the userlist of Freenas by default so those users don't have any rights outside of there jail.
To solve this you can add those user, or better said, userID's, to the userlist of freenas.
In the left menu open "add user" and fill in the corresponding userID's for the plugin(s) you are using, use the list below:

So if you use all the above plugins you have to add 4 users, user "816", "972", "983" and "817".
Choose the group "wheels".

Thanks bafplus, making the whole thing more secure is definetly on my todo-list and this will help me!

TotalRecall

Dabbler
I set this all up tested before i received my official hdds for storage..

Can i just ( Edit) the jail source location to point to a new volume aka ( mnt/medianew/samefolders) ? Or do i basically have to reset up everything?

Basically i got it all setup and added all my shows and downloaded some, did more then i should have and now kinda want to keep the setup since everything is working nice. If i copied everything from

my original source volume:
mnt/files

to

mnt/medianewhddvolume/folder and correct the source locations under jail storage will everything just work or explode?

marcevan

Patron
Good post but adding those users needs a password so is transmission's transmission, plex's plex and so on?

Also, primary group = Wheel, right?

"In the left menu open "add user" and fill in the corresponding userID's for the plugin(s) you are using, use the list below:

Choose the group "wheels" "

rmckellar

Cadet
I can't for the life of me get Transmission to interact with Sickrage. Couchpotato is working fine when downloading movies. I have all my mounts and datasets set up correctly. Transmission has 60GB of downloaded series in it and Sickrage has found no files.

Last edited:

jwells

Cadet
Good post but adding those users needs a password so is transmission's transmission, plex's plex and so on?

Also, primary group = Wheel, right?

"In the left menu open "add user" and fill in the corresponding userID's for the plugin(s) you are using, use the list below:

Choose the group "wheels" "
So are you saying if i do this, there is no need to mess with 777? I have been trying to get permission to transmission for two days now. I can get everything working except for transmission to be able to download

Brad1961

Dabbler
Will this guide still work with FreeNAS 11.1

JJT211

Patron
For the most part yeah.

Brad1961

Dabbler
you don't by any chance what part as I get every ting set u an running downloads from transmission to the downloads folder from CP and SR but they will not move them to the TV and movie folders for plex to see.
I'm guessing it's a permissions thing

JJT211

Patron
Come on dude.....if you expect me to put in the effort to help, you need to put in a lil more effort in your grammar. I have no idea what you are trying to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.