Set disk sector size

Status
Not open for further replies.

gegtor

Explorer
I have very specific windows app that need disk configured in 4096 bytes per sector and bytes per physical sector also 4096

How i can set this up?
My current state:
XiSStbm.jpg

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You mean in a bhyve VM? And what kind of messed-up software is that?

D

dlavigne

This would make a good feature. Up to now zvols have been used for iSCSI so the "logical block size" appears when creating a device extent. So it could also be added to the VM device screen, or if it made sense, to the zvol creation screen.

Please create a feature request at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Just to verify: you set the sector size on a new, blank disk device before installing, rather than changing it after install?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Can you show the UEFI command line that appears, along with any messages visible before it appears?

gegtor

Explorer
MhyFsAW.jpg

This shows up instead of windows logo after windows installer finishes work and restarts VM

gegtor

Explorer
Everyone at microsoft and my local forum tells me that there might be something wrong with my VM software so here i'm :)

I will add that i'm using AMD Ryzen 1700 and there were some issues with AMD & Windows on FreeNAS 11.0 and some are still present
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/25131

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I wonder if bhyve's implementation of UEFI is choking on 4k blocks.

Hx Jai

Dabbler
Same issue. Any solution? The issue listed above is private, so I don't see if there's any work around. On 11.1-U4, the issue still exists.

gegtor

Explorer
If you really have to just install MsSQL on linux

Currently Efi dies with this sector size

Status
Not open for further replies.