Sending FreeNAS logs to remote log server

statalently

Dabbler
I am required to activate the 'full_audit' VFS module on my SMB shares, which will doubtless generate huge amounts of logs. So, I would like to separate this out from the other SMB/system logs and get it onto a separate server with plenty of space dedicated to it. Having researched and tested a little, it seems I need to make an rsyslog server on my network and have the FreeNAS send its logs there. I believe I have to edit some conf files on the FreeNAS in order to do this, but have read that anything not done in the web GUI is reset on updates/restarts. So, will it be possible to set this up? What is the proper way to maintain configuration not done in the web GUI?

Thank you for your help.

statalently

Dabbler
Aha. Whoops, should have seen that. However, I notice in the tooltip that the logs continue to write to the console (/var/messages, right?) - is there any way to stop this? VFS full_audit will generate a lot of logs...
Thanks for the help!

D

dlavigne

Unfortunately, no. If you decide to make a feature request at bugs.ixsystems.com, post the issue number here.

statalently

Dabbler

Hjrr

Dabbler
Guys, what about sending syslog info to multiple remote syslog servers, can I do that with a comma separating the destination IPs? (Spunk & vRealize Log Insight servers)

SYSTEM-> General
syslog server: 10.0.1.79:514,10.0.1.80:514
(I am running 9.3-stable on this box.)
Seems like when I added this second destination, the log forwarding to 10.0.1.79 stopped.

cinemafunk

Dabbler
Guys, what about sending syslog info to multiple remote syslog servers, can I do that with a comma separating the destination IPs? (Spunk & vRealize Log Insight servers)

SYSTEM-> General
syslog server: 10.0.1.79:514,10.0.1.80:514
(I am running 9.3-stable on this box.)
Seems like when I added this second destination, the log forwarding to 10.0.1.79 stopped.
I too would like a second log destination option. I think it's worth it for a feature request.