Send remote IP address after reboot or IP change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plato

Contributor
Hi,

I have currently a system in place that it updates a DNS records everytime the ip changes..

Today, there was a reboot which I don't know the cause of. It may be due to power shortage or because of the test ongoing for three of the disks. There is of course a UPS attached which lasts about 1 hour. It's usually only 30 seconds before power gets back up via a generator nearby.

Anyway the problem is after reboot it seems that the jail drive(s) are failed. I have two drives mirrored which I believe one of them was failing.

The main problem is the script I update the DNS was located in jail drives. So when the mount point was not accessible it didn't update the current IP to the DNS server.

I believe it's possible to store this script on the USB sticks but that'd be another case altogether.

What I want to know is if there is any way for FreeNAS to send the ip address to my e-mail when the ip change occurs.. I also set up a no-ip address just in case but it seems it's also stuck on old ip address. The server still sends some notification e-mails so I'm sure it's connected to the internet.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You know there's a "Dynamic DNS" service built into FreeNAS,........right?

Exactly, and if the service you are looking at doesn't work correctly they often have a script you can just put in a cron job. Run it on a schedule and access via the hostname.

Plato

Contributor
I also set up a no-IP address just in case but it seems it's also stuck on old IP address.

I wrote as much information as possible but it seems nobody really cares to read this...

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I wrote as much information as possible but it seems nobody really cares to read this...
Good luck to you sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.