Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Selective routing via VPN

Inxsible

FreeNAS Guru
I have my vpn setup via my pfSense box. I would like to kill internet access for my FreeNAS box if the VPN provider connection goes down. Basically a kill switch. I have found a tutorial on how to go about it in pfSense. My question as relates to FreeNAS is,

I just have to use the LAN IP for my FreeNAS box correct? The local IPs for my plugins/jails don't need to configured, do they?

Eventually, I also intend to set up a VPN server, so that I can access the FreeNAS box and the different plugin/jails from outside my network. But one thing at a time...

m0nkey_

FreeNAS Expert
I just have to use the LAN IP for my FreeNAS box correct?
You need to put a rule in your pfSense box for each IP that your FN server uses, this includes the IP's in use by jails.

Inxsible

FreeNAS Guru
You need to put a rule in your pfSense box for each IP that your FN server uses, this includes the IP's in use by jails.
I see. Thanks.

Just for my understanding...
The IPs for CouchPotato etc plugins -- they are used only on my local network to access the main page of the plugin. They don't go out to the internet, so why do we need to create a rule for them?