Security log has a warning that needs interpretation

okynnor

Explorer
Hi,

I have a warning and I don't know what it means. It sounds that it's related to my iSCSI drive and the fact that my FreeNAS crashed 6 hours earlier because zvol where iSCSI was out of space.

Would someone help me understand the below and if I should be concerned?

> SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!
> SMP: AP CPU #2 Launched!
> Timecounter "TSC-low" frequency 1200022552 Hz quality 1000
> WARNING: 192.168.1.6 (iqn.2019-10.com.example:90f1d60b): no ping reply (NOP-Out) after 5 seconds; dropping connection

Message about FreeNAS rebooted

FreeNAS.mybooks.private had an unscheduled system reboot.
The operating system successfully came back online at Wed Oct 23 03:50:18 2019.

D

dlavigne

Looks like normal rebooting messages. Do you know what caused the system to reboot?

okynnor

Explorer
Looks like normal rebooting messages. Do you know what caused the system to reboot?

What I'm more concerned about is this message in the security message:

> WARNING: 192.168.1.6 (iqn.2019-10.com.example:90f1d60b): no ping reply (NOP-Out) after 5 seconds; dropping connection

What would cause this message?

okynnor

Explorer

The reboot occurred on or at when my iSCSI zvol ran out of space and Xen Orchestra was in the middle of trying to restore a differential backup. This leads me to believe that if a Zvol is out of space, FreeNAS will reboot. Is this logic deduction correct?

D

dlavigne

The iSCSI connection was not available at that time, which makes sense given the reason for the reboot.

okynnor

Explorer
but the time difference between the reboot and the iSCSI message was 6 hours apart. a 5 second drop doesn't seem much but could crash a VM, right?

D

dlavigne

You didn't mention the time difference. You're seeing that in /var/log/messages (which does include timestamps)?

okynnor

Explorer
I'm seeing that based on the email notifications I got from FreeNAS. they arrived six hours apart.

My XCP-NG Linux VM all crashed as a result. But the Windows one is still going.