Seagate 8TB Archive Drive in FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arwen

MVP
The rule is you get 1 drives performance for writes, per VDEV. My full NAS backups averaged 30MBps using "rsync" to a new directory on the 8TB SMR Archive drive.
Thus, with 4 VDEVs and 30MBps per VDEV, I'd guess you would be able get up to 120MBps writes. That said, Gigabit Ethernet would be a bit of a limit. And in odd
situations, (reads AND writes occuring at the same time), you would probably get less.

aadje93

Explorer
With read and write it will be less indeed, so maybe i'll just have to do random IO on local raid, and let xenserver (the hypervisor) do backups very regularry (like twice - 4 times a day) then. For the price its a massive storage increase. The only thing i'm worried about is in the specs; Power-On Hours 8760 (24×7) thats "1 year" non-stop. So this supposes they are only made for 1 year of non-stop use? Truly tape on disk devices then....

Arwen

MVP
The only thing i'm worried about is in the specs; Power-On Hours 8760 (24×7) thats "1 year" non-stop. So this supposes they are only made for 1 year of non-stop use? Truly tape on disk devices then....
Hmm, I had not read that part when I bought mine. For me it does not matter. I
load it up, run a backup, then unload and store it. It's cold backup storage for me.

Of course Seagate put 800K Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) (hours) in the
same document. If 8K hours is about 1 year, then 800K hours = about 100 years :smile:.

TXAG26

Patron
I have 3 of the new Samsung P3 4TB 2.5" portable USB drives for traveling (DSLRs & GoPros backups) that use the same shingled layering technology as the Seagates and when they stop to re-layer shingles, writes in particular get PAINFULLY slow.

The first time it happened I was trying to dump about 90GB of .cr2 raw files off a couple of Sandisk CF cards. The transfer was steady at about 70MB/s and then dropped to about 350KB/s and stayed there a good 30 minutes or so, then bounced back. I damn near had a stroke as I thought the drive was crashing and I had just formatted the previous CF cards...all before making another copy to a second P3 4TB drive...I now make sure the important files are on all 3 P3 drives before formatting CF/SD cards...

Back to the 8TB Seagates...I have some of the external USB versions, but as previously stated by other posters, I too use them as digital tape drives. For my online storage, I went with 5TB WD Reds and they have been great. The 5TB Reds still seem to be the sweet spot at the moment.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The rule is you get 1 drives performance for writes, per VDEV
To be clear, you get the slowest drives worth of IOPS, but you get the aggregated value of bandwidth of the Data (not Parity) drives. So in a 6 drive RAID-Z2, you get the IOPS of 1 drive and the bandwidth of 4.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Here comes my warning of this disks.

Bought 3 of them (ST8000AS0002) on the 9of October. All 3 of them has been returned with failure)
Disk locked/freezed after soft reboot it was not detected.
Had to do a power on/off of the NAS and then the it was detected again..
After the incident the disked showed 256 bad sectors, end of month report 2 days ago showed 0.

Just for the information they now run on a DSM 5.2 machine to test (I know this is a freenas forum, just wanted notice everyone)

Disk runs at 34 degree.

1st disk crashed after 2 days of use,
2nd disk crashed after 10 days of use, at this time I decided to go for SHR-2 instead of SHR-1.
3rd disk crashed this morning ( 20 days/ 514 hours of use)

Other 3TB disk in same chassi has over 10k hours of use ..

I called Seagate and had a bizarre talk to one of they support engineers.
Told him that I used a Raid-6 configuration got the following answer back.
"these disk are not support to have filesystem they are used for archive", basicly he claimed they was like HDD DAT-TAPE.
Write once and "cloud" archive them in a safe.

My question back to him was how would it be possible to yearly write to them 180TB (according to spec) of data if they crash after 2-14 days?

The disk is specified for 24/7 use and has a warranty of 3 years. Guess I gonna send back a LOT of this disk.

Any Seagate person on the forum that can comment?
I will write mail to Seagate tonight for a comment on those TAPE drives.

Stay Away from them.
Mathias

Last edited:

aadje93

Explorer
Hi Mathias, i choose 4TB wd red (yes i know another rell around here) due to waranty (3 instead of 2) and reds are officially made for 24/7 instead of the greens, so no warranty issues when smart shows 10k hours :P

Hi Mathias, i choose 4TB wd red (yes i know another rell around here) due to waranty (3 instead of 2) and reds are officially made for 24/7 instead of the greens, so no warranty issues when smart shows 10k hours :p

Yeah I got RED to. This was to make a big volume which is not access that much.

Edit:

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/products/enterprise-servers-storage/nearline-storage/archive-hdd/

• Seagate brings over 30 years of trusted storage reliability to the growing need for online long-term storage.
  • Industry’s best cost/GB/watt 8TB hard drive
  • Engineered for 24×7 workloads of 180TB per year
  • Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) (hours) 800
  • Power-On Hours 8760 (24×7)
  • Limited Warranty (years) 3
http://www.seagate.com/files/www-co...dd/en-us/docs/archive-hdd-dS1834-3-1411us.pdf

Last edited:
BOOM disk number 4 crashed..

Checked the disk 16k bad sectors.

Tomorrow I will send them back, this disk are just bloody insane..

Now it will be 6 TB RED disks!

Attachments

• 12200891_10153233574981593_886707623_n.jpg
    12200891_10153233574981593_886707623_n.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 314

aadje93

Explorer
haha lol, 6Tb is little to expensive for me for now, but the 4TB's are rock solid, LLC 3 after almost 30hours now (so i'm 100% sure they are not on the bizarre 8sec!)

Checked one disk with wdidle3 and it instantly said 300secs, so i thought what the hell i throw them all in and get the data on, and all show llc of 2 or 3 (6 of them) so thats nice, that 10w i save on a year is worthless when your rack pulls 2k from the wall

Just did a shutdown of the system, Does not dare to have it spinning until I get new disks. The 6TB WD RED disk is almost the same price.

Just wonder what the hell is up with these disk.. I read up onto them and google and i couldn't find any bad info on them.

aadje93

Explorer
I think they are made as tape on platter disks, instead of what "we" are used to, these drives are write once, store in closet, never read again :p (and yeah, 8TB on a single device is pretty nice for backups!)

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Well, when I saw the picture two words came to my mind: cable management :D

Well, when I saw the picture two words came to my mind: cable management :D
This is a temporary installation :smile: You know you take all your spare SATA drive cables that you having laying around and use them .
My real server is much better installed.

:smile:

I think they are made as tape on platter disks, instead of what "we" are used to, these drives are write once, store in closet, never read again :p (and yeah, 8TB on a single device is pretty nice for backups!)

• Seagate brings over 30 years of trusted storage reliability to the growing need for online long-term storage.
  • Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) (hours) 800k
This is from their datasheet.

2 Archive HDDs are not intended for surveillance or NAS applications, and you may experience lower performance in these environments. For these applications, Seagate NAS HDDs and Seagate Surveillance HDDs are suggested for better performance and reliability.

Aka you get a MTBF of 3 weeks...

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Looks like they didn't use the 30 year shingles.

Z300M

Guru
  • Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) (hours) 800k
This is from their datasheet.

2 Archive HDDs are not intended for surveillance or NAS applications, and you may experience lower performance in these environments. For these applications, Seagate NAS HDDs and Seagate Surveillance HDDs are suggested for better performance and reliability.

Aka you get a MTBF of 3 weeks...
@Arwen has been using one or more of these drives (don't recall how many) since March, and I've seen no complaints from him about their performance or reliability. Maybe the drives you bought came from a bad batch. And how about the temperature of your drives?

I have no idea what the "Power-On Hours 8760 (24×7)" is supposed to indicate: I saw no such item in the other data sheets I looked at. It makes no sense to interpret it as an MTBF figure when (a) the MTBF is stated explicitly in the immediately preceding line as 800K Hours and (b) the drive has a 3-year warranty.

aadje93

Explorer
8740 = 365 days 24/7

so i think they aren't meant to be running alot, they should be used as "consumer" tape drives :p

Status
Not open for further replies.