Resource icon

Scripted installation of Nextcloud 28 in iocage jail 2018-03-23

golfox2

Dabbler
Unfortunately because you did that, the folders were created instead of the datasets. I would just redo the installation if of course you just did it in the last day or so.

@winnielinnie Is there a way to create a dataset overtop of an existing folder?
I would not. It's the equivalent of mounting a filesystem atop an existing folder. (You'll end up with ghost files/folders hidden by the mounted filesystem.) Your best bet is to (1) copy the entire directory to a temporary safe location, (2) remove the (now) empty directory, (3) create the new dataset, and then (4) copy the files/folders back into this new (and mounted) dataset.

Or just do that after removing the entire directory. :wink: (Assuming there's nothing important already saved.)
Hi, thanks for your answers. I fortunately did not do anything with nextcloud, so no data yet anywhere.
So If I understand correctly, I can completely delete the 4 manually created subdatasets (files, config, themes, db) and the jail, then run the install script for a new fresh install. This will delete the folders created (which I don't care).
-> It is not going to mess things up with the local IP address that I've set for the jail (because it's creating a new one, with the same IP)
-> Nor is it going to mess up the let's encrypt certificate it obtained previously ?
if that's correct, then i'm happy :)

victort

Guru
Hi, thanks for your answers. I fortunately did not do anything with nextcloud, so no data yet anywhere.
So If I understand correctly, I can completely delete the 4 manually created subdatasets (files, config, themes, db) and the jail, then run the install script for a new fresh install. This will delete the folders created (which I don't care).
Sure. Delete them, then recreate your dataset structure as outlined in the instructions. Make sure to then set your POOL_PATH properly.
-> It is not going to mess things up with the local IP address that I've set for the jail (because it's creating a new one, with the same IP)
Destroy the old jail first. Then you should be good.
-> Nor is it going to mess up the let's encrypt certificate it obtained previously ?
This won’t matter. It’ll just grab a new cert for you.

golfox2

Dabbler
Roger that, thanks for the info, really appreciate ! have a happy easter week-end

golfox2

Dabbler
by the way, in the script installation instruction, when creating the datasets, it's written :
It's also recommended to cache only metadata on the db dataset; you can do this by running
Code:
zfs set primarycache=metadata poolname/db.

should I run that in the shell , and in my case it's going to be : =Nextcloud/nextcloud/db
correct ?
1711662980452.png

thanks !

golfox2

Dabbler
Nice ! Well I reinstalled everything and now it's working properly. Thank you very much for the help, and also THANK YOU SO MUCH danb35 for the script.
Does it update nextcloud automatically or in a simplified way ? I remember that it did not work and completely stopped my nextcloud in my old manual install in a jail via the truenas apps.

Also, the "db" dataset is the database but not the medias/content themselves, they're stored in "files". But on the "files" dataset, there was nothing special to do (like record size 16kb on the "db" one), right ? if yes, i'll just swap the two comments because i misunderstood.

1711725752595.png

by the way, i've run the remove-staging script, am i supposed to do something to renew the certificate or should i just wait for it to expire before it gets the real one ? (sorry, screenshot is in french :tongue:)

1711729309597.png

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Does it update nextcloud automatically or in a simplified way
Nextcloud itself should be updated using its built-in updater. The other software packages can be upgraded with a periodic pkg upgrade.
Also, the "db" dataset is the database but not the medias/content themselves, they're stored in "files". But on the "files" dataset, there was nothing special to do (like record size 16kb on the "db" one), right ?
Correct.
i've run the remove-staging script, am i supposed to do something to renew the certificate
It should do it on its own, though I suppose there might be a bit of delay.

golfox2

Dabbler
Roger that, and I'll run the pkg update command from time to time from the nextcloud jail's shell then.
I really appreciate the help, thanks.

victort

Guru
Roger that, and I'll run the pkg update command from time to time from the nextcloud jail's shell then.
I really appreciate the help, thanks.
To upgrade caddy though you do caddy upgrade since it was built from source.