Resource icon

Scripted installation of Nextcloud 28 in iocage jail 2018-03-23

danb35

Hall of Famer
Turns out the rc file requires an email address be provided. It isn't used unless you obtain a Let's Encrypt cert, but it must be provided regardless. I'll need to update the README to note this.

xiSlickix

Dabbler
Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it while searching this thread.

For one of my FreeNAS + Nextcloud setups I expected to have a certificate provided by the company who runs our website. When I originally setup all this up, I selected the self-hosted / provide your own certificate route. While the hosting provider was able to add a DNS entry for nextcloud (so we have a FQDN) they have dragged their feet on getting me a cert. IS there a process without rebuilding the entire nextcloud environment to switch over to Lets Encrypt if I originally started with the self-cert route?

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
IS there a process without rebuilding the entire nextcloud environment
Sure. When did you run it? Do you know if you used the Caddy version of the script (which is current), or Apache (which I'd used previously)?

danb35

Hall of Famer
OK, should be pretty straightforward, then. SSH into your FreeNAS box, then enter the jail with iocage console nextcloud. Install acme.sh using curl https://get.acme.sh | sh. Then issue the cert. If you're going to use HTTP validation (if you have ports 80 and 443 open to your jail), you'd do acme.sh --issue -w /usr/local/www/apache24/data -d ${HOST_NAME} -k 4096 --fullchain-file /usr/local/etc/pki/tls/certs/fullchain.pem --key-file /usr/local/etc/pki/tls/private/privkey.pem --reloadcmd "service apache24 reload". If you'd be using DNS validation, you'll need to modify the command to account for that.

xiSlickix

Dabbler
.... /usr/local/www/apache24/data -d ${HOST_NAME} -k 4096 --fullchain-file ......

Just to make sure I'm getting the syntax correct. assuming my fqdn is test.example.com

acme.sh --issue -w /usr/local/www/apache24/data -d ${test.example.com} -k 4096 --fullchain

would that be correct?

danb35

Hall of Famer
would that be correct?
Close. The $ and braces would come out, so it would be acme.sh --issue -w /usr/local/www/apache24/data -d test.example.com -k 4096 --fullchain

xiSlickix

Dabbler
Close. The $ and braces would come out, so it would be acme.sh --issue -w /usr/local/www/apache24/data -d test.example.com -k 4096 --fullchain
1559924238633.png

I'm still getting a self-signed cert, even after restarting apache. Any idea where to throw that force flag in?

--Edit--

just tossed the --force at the very end, and it punched right through, SSL good to go. Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
just tossed the --force at the very end
It can go anywhere, so not a problem. What was probably happening was that acme.sh had gotten a cert previously, but hadn't deployed it to the right locations. Adding --force makes it go through the issuance process again, and it then deploys the cert and reloads apache--and should update its config files to automatically do that in the future.

jchamie

Cadet
Where is apache24 folder located now? In an earlier script it used to be in /usr/local/www/apache24 but in the www folder is only nextcloud and caddyfile.

danb35

Hall of Famer

jchamie

Cadet
It isn't; the script doesn't use Apache any more. Instead, it uses Caddy.
oh I see. I am going to have to look into how to configure Caddy. I am having issues with big uploads not working via public link for nextcloud (even though upload_max etc set 8GB etc). The solution appears to be commenting out LoadModule reqtimeout_module libexec/apache24/mod_reqtimeout.so in the apache httpd.conf file.... But of course now I know why I can't find this anywhere!

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm sure there's a way to make comparable settings on Caddy, but I'm not sure what it would be. I'd start by checking out the log files--in the jail, you'd want /var/log/nextcloud.log, /var/log/nextcloud_access.log, and /var/log/nextcloud_error.log. If you can find where the error is, it will be easier to determine what needs to be done to fix it.

jchamie

Cadet
If you can find where the error is, it will be easier to determine what needs to be done to fix it.
The nextcloud_error.log has ERROR 504 ....etc.... read tcp 127.0.0.1:21686->127.0.0.1:9000: i/o timeout . So looks like some sort of timeout error but not sure why

jchamie

Cadet
You may also find relevant information in /var/log/php-fpm.log.
Seems as though it was a bit fussy with memory_limit and max settings. Changing to the following (i.e. lowering them) did the trick
upload_max_filesize=2G
post_max_size=4G
memory_limit=512M