Script to Delete Snapshots on Backup/Replication Server

linchesterBR

Cadet
I would like to know if is possible to create a script to delete snapshots on backup/replication server side.

We have the option "Delete Stale Snapshots on Remote System", but this is not very secure because if we accidentally (or not) delete these snapshots on primary server, they also will be deleted on remote server.

Therefore, we could let this option unchecked and control retention by script. But I can't find where snapshots are stored on the remote server and I even don't know if we can simply delete them.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Meyers

Patron
They're just regular snapshots on the backup. You can browse for them in the GUI or use zfs list -t snapshot to see them.

You should be able to delete old snapshots on the backup provided they are already deleted on the primary. You'd have to test this of course.

That said, this is probably a lot of work for a very unlikely event.

sretalla