SCALE Update 8/6/2020

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS Community,

I've done a quick update of our Developer notes for TrueNAS SCALE as of 8/6/2020. The Engineering team has been making fantastic progress on porting functionality, and at this point the following functionality should be fully supported:
  • Pool creation
  • Pool Management
  • SMB Shares
  • iSCSI Shares
  • AFP Shares
  • NFS Shares
  • S3 Shares
  • AD / LDAP Directory Services
  • Online / Offline updating
  • Virtual Machines (Using KVM)
  • WebDAV
  • Monitoring, Alerting and Reporting
Next up, working on UI Container support, Clustering UIs (Via TrueCommand) and of course POSIX NFSv4 ACLS.

I wanted to say a special thank you to the early testers who've already been running SCALE and providing feedback. We've been able to knock out quite a few issues during the past month, and its getting more solid day by day.

As usual, please keep up the testing and feedback efforts, and I hope to check back in the coming weeks / months with some good news on the support for native containers. (I'm already running Plex with GPU passthrough here via Docker, and it works fantastically!)

ornias

Wizard
I was already wondering when you where going to post the update :)

A great list, basically that means most features of TrueNAS Core are already supported by SCALE... Within about 12 months of work, that's a great achievement and a highlight for the portability of the UI/API :)

Some short simple questions:
- Will the kvm VM support also support HA? (aka: Fencing, live-migration and failover) Yes, No, To-Be-Decided?
- Will the Glusterfs feature, included support for Arbiter nodes? Yes, No, To-Be-Decided?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Some short simple questions:
- Will the kvm VM support also support HA? (aka: Fencing, live-migration and failover) Yes, No, To-Be-Decided?

TBD, but it could be possible down the road. Unclear on specific timing / version though.

- Will the Glusterfs feature, included support for Arbiter nodes? Yes, No, To-Be-Decided?

We have looked into this. Still having some discussion, but its a strong possibility to enable mirroring type HA setups, where you have that 3rd arbiter node in place to prevent split-brain.

ornias

Wizard
TBD, but it could be possible down the road. Unclear on specific timing / version though.
Understandable, it would require significant additional work that goes byond middleware.
I think we all can agree we rather have something solid first, byond expanding scope into... well... more complicated things.

We have looked into this. Still having some discussion, but its a strong possibility to enable mirroring type HA setups, where you have that 3rd arbiter node in place to prevent split-brain.
Yeah, thats the setup I was refering to...
I understand the discussion... Primarily how to get the UX just right and not over complicate it for the user... Interesting case though :)

Kieeps

Dabbler
I'm so very excited for this, as soon as the container UI comes out i'm switching my homenas back to TrueNas :) i'w always wanted to love freenas/truenas but jails/bsd never sat right with me.

Keep up the great work :)

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm so very excited for this, as soon as the container UI comes out i'm switching my homenas back to TrueNas :) i'w always wanted to love freenas/truenas but jails/bsd never sat right with me.

Keep up the great work :)

Great! Looking forward to having you on SCALE at some point in the near future then :)

brando56894

Wizard
Wow! I was thinking about switching from Arch Linux w/ZoL to TrueNAS 12 because I'm a sucker for a nice GUI, but I never really was a fan of BSD compared to Linux, since I use the latter far more frequently (I'm a Linux SysAdmin). Now I think I'll start testing SCALE instead :)

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Wow! I was thinking about switching from Arch Linux w/ZoL to TrueNAS 12 because I'm a sucker for a nice GUI, but I never really was a fan of BSD compared to Linux, since I use the latter far more frequently (I'm a Linux SysAdmin). Now I think I'll start testing SCALE instead :)

Great! Hopefully your testing goes well, let us know if you have any feedback.

clausdk

Dabbler
Hey Kris :smile:Any chance ZFS will be updated to the latest version(zfs-0.8.4)? The reason I ask is that there's a huge improvement with the AES-GCM encryption part:

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Yep, planning to update the OpenZFS module to 2.0-RC1 or similar here in the coming weeks.

clausdk

Dabbler
That's great news!!!! Can't wait. I've heard its going to be a huge step up in performance in some scenarios. Btw its stable as a rock so far.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Great! Yea, I'm already running it here on my primary NAS system, been really solid. Eager to also get the latest OpenZFS features to the party as well :)

brando56894

Wizard
Btw its stable as a rock so far.

Yea, I'm already running it here on my primary NAS system, been really solid.

Ugh, that's not what I needed to hear! hahaha I was telling myself that I would wait until mid-late October to start testing it out on my home server (just a massive media server, nothing mission critical) but now you guys are really tempting me. I jumped in feet first with the 9.x and 10.x series (had to skip testing 11 on actual hardware since I created my pool in Linux) and that was BSD, this is something I'm far more at home with.

I'm just debating on whether I should do everything in Docker or in a VM. I've done both extensively. I can set everything up in Docker in like 5 minutes but my containers occasionally seem to randomly screw up and refuse to connect to each other, and I never seem to be able to fix it. With VMs I've had file permission and throughput headaches when using NFS :-/

I'm currently running everything natively on Arch Linux for simplicity sake.

Kieeps

Dabbler
I'm just debating on whether I should do everything in Docker or in a VM. I've done both extensively. I can set everything up in Docker in like 5 minutes but my containers occasionally seem to randomly screw up and refuse to connect to each other, and I never seem to be able to fix it. With VMs I've had file permission and throughput headaches when using NFS :-/

I'm currently running everything natively on Arch Linux for simplicity sake.

I was planing to do a VM with docker so not to mess with the host system too much untill they have the full k8s system in place, that way stuff won't break with updates :smile: at least I don't think it will...

musicderp

Cadet
As usual, please keep up the testing and feedback efforts, and I hope to check back in the coming weeks / months with some good news on the support for native containers. (I'm already running Plex with GPU passthrough here via Docker, and it works fantastically!)
Hey Kris! Thank you so much for all the work you guys have been doing, looking forward to switching! I was just wondering about where you put your docker configs and how you got your docker to start automatically on boot. Thanks again!

brando56894

Wizard
I was planing to do a VM with docker so not to mess with the host system too much untill they have the full k8s system in place, that way stuff won't break with updates :smile: at least I don't think it will...

From what I can tell, the Docker/K8S side of things won't change (much) since all they have to do is link the binaries to the middleware and then build out the webUI. I have Docker running a few containers in my SCALE test VM which I have managed with Portainer, and everything seems to work fine. Even if stuff does change with them, just destroy and rebuild your containers/pods since it doesn't harm anything.

I was just wondering about where you put your docker configs and how you got your docker to start automatically on boot.

I just created a dataset in my pool called docker_data and then pointed my containers there.

You can could possibly do midclt call service.enable docker from the CLI, but that's assuming it exists in the middleware. Also IDK if service.enable exists, I'm just basing it off of this reply I got from anodos regarding starting services.

If that doesn't work, you could always try systemctl enable docker which is the Linux (systemd) way to enable services on a normal distro, you would use systemctl start docker to start the service. Just don't get in the habit of doing this.

tallnerd1985

Dabbler
Hey y'all, before I jump into this, coming from an Ubuntu 18.04 server with ZoL setup going strong for multiple years, I was wondering if docker-compose was a thing in these builds? I have a Traefik setup that I want to keep going with reverse proxying a bunch of containers

brando56894

Wizard
Yep, docker-compose works without issue, I used it to setup all my containers in my VM. You just won't see anything Docker related in the UI.

tallnerd1985

Dabbler
Yep, docker-compose works without issue, I used it to setup all my containers in my VM. You just won't see anything Docker related in the UI.

Nice and one last question, I have a 120gb SSD for the install of Ubuntu and also have all my containers there as well so when I install Truenas, does it occupy the whole SSD or just a partition of it? Sorry, last time I ran FreeNAS was back in the day when it ran off a USB drive.