Save config does not save users

Hello,

Sorry I am new. I have had to a do a couple of backup/restores of my config recently, and each time, the "save config" does not save information about user accounts. And actually user accounts/permissions is what I spend most of my time in config doing, so it's a real bummer having to set them up the same way each time. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I am going to System>General>Save Config and then after I reinstall FreeNAS, I do the same except "Upload Config". Most all settings come back, minus anything related to users/permissions.

Thank you!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
System->General->Save Config creates a TAR file containing freenas-v1.db, the full configuration database, including users and groups created via the GUI, along with pwenc_secret and the GELI key files as desired. If you're creating users and groups outside the GUI, the FreeNAS configuration database wouldn't have any knowledge of them, so these wouldn't be captured.

Hi Samuel Tai, thank you for reply!
Yes I am creating them in GUI (from FreeNAS Login IP address on my network). When I restore, no users are included in the restore. But other settings restore fine. Is there something I am missing in the process?

Thank you!

Samuel Tai

What version of FreeNAS are you backing up and restoring?

Samuel Tai

OK, this kind of makes sense. Before 11.3-U3.2, there was a bug NAS-106175 preventing saving of changes to user accounts. You may be hitting this bug. Try upgrading to U3.2, and then the config saves should work properly.

Samuel Tai

Just to make sure, create a backup. Extract the freenas-v1.db file from the resulting TAR file. You should be able to examine it in Notepad. About 2/3s into the file, you should see the names of your created groups and users.

Yep, I found the named users as you suggested. Can't decipher the rest of it, but they're in there somehow. Thank you Samual, two thumbs up for you!