Same source for PLEX+Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazsi44

Cadet
Hi! I have the following strucutre:

I have a MEDIA dataset at /mnt/vol_1/MEDIA in my Storage, with media as group and user owner.

I also have a plex and transmission jail. Both installed clean, nothing changed. Now, I am trying to achieve that both of them points to the MEDIA folder. Plex worked just fine without doing anything, but Transmission gives me a permission denied error.

I searched a lot, but did not find any post/tutorial which could solve my problem entirely. Some would help with transmission, but destroy plex, and vica versa.

Plex just needs read permission access to a directory, since Transmission wants to write as well as read you will have issues with your "ownership"

Basically you will need to add a group into the jail itself and add the Transmission user to that group. The easier way is to create a transmission user and group in FreeNAS and make it the owner of the directory to make it work the way you are thinking. Then just chmod -R 775 and all should be good, just make sure it's only the directory that holds the media. You could go 777 and solve all the problems and ignore the users and groups completely but anyone and anything that has access would be able to delete so it's probably not the best idea.

However after using Plex for a while with a decent amount of media, I found that it was better to manually move things where I wanted them. I have a media directory that holds my movies and then subdirectories of letters A - Z and # I then make a folder inside each subdirectory for a corresponding movie. I found that Plex scans it all MUCH faster than having a single huge directory. If everything is just dumped into a single folder it starts to bog down at a certain point.

bazsi44

Cadet
But if I change the ownership of the MEDIA folder to Transmission, how will Plex access it? Maybe I oversee something, sorry for the noob question, but thanks for the answer(s). I heard 777 is a bad idea, so I won't do that.

Ok so I use Syncthing and Plex on the same directory so it will be similar to what you are wanting to do in a way.

The directory owner is me and the group is SMB. I added a group into each jail (Plex and Syncthing) that is the same GID as my SMB group or 1001. I also add the Plex and Syncthing users to that group. Then I created users in FreeNAS that match the ID's for both Plex and Syncthing and added them to the SMB group in FreeNAS. Afterwards I did a chmod -R 775 on the movies directory. Because both Plex and Syncthing are in a group with the same ID they both have read/write/execute or "7" access to the files in question. This allows my Syncthing to add or remove files in anything that is a part of the SMB group directory as well as the Plex to delete things that I want to remove but don't feel like searching for in my media.

For your setup as long as Plex has the ability to read it should not be an issue unless you REALLY REALLY want it to have the ability to delete something, however since transmission will just add it back anyway it's not worth it but the above is how my semi similar situation works.

Status
Not open for further replies.