Ryzen Windows VM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

empmdk

Dabbler
I'm running the latest FreeNAS 11 build with an AMD 1090T. I have not been able to get a Windows VM to work due to an error that occurs as soon as it tries to boot the installation. I assume it is an issue with virtualization support on AMD's end. Any Linux distro works flawlessly.
My question is, has anyone here successfully done a Ryzen FreeNAS build and is running a Windows VM without issue? I'm looking into doing an upgrade and have come across a couple boards that support ECC mode and could save me some $ on performance.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It would help to know what the error is...

empmdk

Dabbler
Error code: 0x000000C4 (Server 2012)

Windows 7 and 8 both get stuck at the beginning of the first loading screen after pressing a key to boot from DVD.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

iammykyl

Explorer
Do they even have UEFI support?
"While in UEFI mode, the Windows version must match the PC architecture. A 64-bit UEFI PC can only boot 64-bit versions of Windows. A 32-bit PC can only boot 32-bit versions of Windows. In some cases, while in legacy BIOS mode, you may be able to run 32-bit Windows on a 64-bit PC, assuming the manufacturer supports 32-bit legacy BIOS mode on the PC."
Further info, source, > https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824898.aspx

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's fascinating that they bothered. Must be a leftover from Itanium, because I'm fairly certain that the only 32-bit UEFI implementation on x86 was Apple's.

empmdk

Dabbler
Only tried 64-bit versions of Windows. I have not been able to find any solid info on the newer CPU's being capable of doing that. I assume it would run just fine but don't want to go on just that thought :D.

Evi Vanoost

Explorer
Windows pre-10 doesn't support the Ryzen architecture. It's not a bug, Microsoft actively blocks updates if it detects Kaby Lake/Ryzen so your Win7/2012 will be practically useless on your CPU.

The error you're getting is here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...fter-you-restart-a-windows-7-based,-windows-8

Perhaps if you emulate a Core2Duo or so in your hypervisor (not sure if FreeNAS is like QEMU/KVM where you can specify the CPU to emulate).

Status
Not open for further replies.